cheat sheets

Just starting out or wanting to learn about something new. Need help setting up your first station. Want to meet others just starting out. This category is for you.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

cheat sheets

Postby KC2NTV » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:34 pm

Cheat sheets for a “basic qso” for a newbie cw operator…
I think. Name, QTH, RST, possibly my rig, and power …. Anything else… after that just a ragchew… Am I missing anything else???
is there a format I can copy from if different??
THANKS
hope to work ya soon
Scott
KC2NTV
SKCC #5596
Scott KC2NTV
KC2NTV

Postby W5ALT » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:47 am

Hi Scott,

Most QSO's start out following a simple format. That's nice since at first you don't know how long the band will hold up, if you'll be able to copy the other person's fist, etc. If you follow the expected format, you both know what to expect while getting the basic info across. Once you get past the basic info, then ask a question, make a comment, and start chewing the rag if you want.

The basic format I was taught is as follows (fill in your info, of course)

XXX de W5ALT - TKS CALL - UR RST XYZ XYZ - QTH HOUSTON, TX HOUSTON, TX - NAME WALT WALT - HW? AR XXX de W5ALT K

Once you both get past that, you'll know if you can copy good enough to continue, etc.

GL and hope to CU on the bands,

Walt, W5ALT
W5ALT

Postby NT9K » Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:32 am

Hi Scott, here is a link for you to check out:
http://www.netwalk.com/~fsv/CWguide.htm

Also:
Your novice accent is a good read at:
http://www.qsl.net/kc7eqw/novice_accent.htm

Scripts are good, no matter what your skill level. I still keep a sheet of scripts handy with a page full of stuff that I can fall back on if I need to. I suggest having several lines of scripts. Have an opening line like Walt showed you. However, I would also include another version of that opening line, but add your SKCC number on the first go around to get it out of the way. I never send commas, a pause will do just fine. Thats the joy of it, not everyone follows the same script. Over time, you will learn bits and pieces from lots of operators you hear on the air. Hear something that you like, write it down on your script.

I have things on my script for my rig, my qth, my wx, my key or keys. I often use my scripts to practice sending with. I also type up my scripts into text files and play them back in G4FON for head copy practice. Its always better to practice with material that you will actually be using on the air.

I use hamscope and practice sending from my scripts to the computer. If the computer can copy you, anyone can. Why, because its a known fact that computers don't copy cw well unless it is good clean code. Both G4FON and Hamscope are free programs that I recommend to all my students. Give them a try and use them with your scripts!
73, Bill - NT9K
SKCC #1926c69t9was8hofdxq2dxc1
http://www.nt9k.com
NT9K

Re: cheat sheets

Postby G0KZZ » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:52 pm

KC2NTV wrote:Cheat sheets for a “basic qso” for a newbie cw operator…
I think. Name, QTH, RST, possibly my rig, and power …. Anything else… after that just a ragchew… Am I missing anything else???

Yup...

Antenna :wink:

Ohhh, and most importantly... SKCC Number!

Regards, Mark
G0KZZ

cue cards

Postby k8jd » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:29 am

Yes when I was a new novice I would go blank when someone answered my CQ, so I came up with a 3 X 5 inch "cue card" with a basic QSO starter like this;
His call_____ DE WN8AFS, RRR
your RST is ____My QTH is Livonia, Mich, My name is John.
HW Copy ? his call_____de WN8AFS K
Once I got this start I had less trouble describing my one tube XMTR and Hallicrafters S38D RCVR and Dipole etc....etc....
73 from K8JD, SKCC 1395, Centurion 18, Tribune 12, Band Endorsements; 160, 80, 60, 40, 30M, 20, 17, and 10M

Ham radio is real Radio, CW is real Hamming!
k8jd

Postby kb4qqj » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:51 am

I still use a cheat sheet too. I make my own note pads and across the top i have all the needed info along with numerous club numbers.
If I'm talking to someone in the room while sending i can quickly look at the cheat sheet when I get lost.
Randy
kb4qqj

Return to Beginners Corner