K3Y - 2012

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

K3Y - 2012

Postby PA1FOX » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:54 am

Hi Fellas,

Since I've only joined SKCC this august, I am not familiar with the SKCC K3Y event. I''ve read the informational pages behind the link at the SKCCGROUP.COM website, but they are all related to the 2011 event and mostly USA related.

The reason I'm writing this, is Bert F6HKA has sent an email around inviting members to take part as the Special K3Y stations. Since I'm just a beginner I will not, but the event as such as attracted my attention.

I was wondering if there is more to know for the event, or will it come automatically with an update of the regular K3Y page on the main website?

Alex
PA1FOX

Postby n3pdt » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:28 am

Alex, just checked the K3Y page, and it looks like you're doing alright! Hope you're having as much fun as I am with the event.

I've had the priviledge of operating as K3Y/0 a few times now, and find it at least as rewarding as chasing the different stations. It's certainly the biggest pileups I've ever worked, and has given me some insight to, and a very high appreciation for, the skill of the DXpedition ops that can blaze through the pileups.

Another thing; As big and long lasting event as this is, and with many many operators to wrangle, I'm very impressed and appreciative of the team of coordinators for K3Y. My region's coordinator, Russ K0LUW, is great. He gets my logs uploaded almost immediately after I send them-always within an hour or less so far. Ron AC2C has always repsonded to my emails within minutes when I'm able to operate K3Y/0 in an unscheduled slot. I'm amazed at how quickly my QSOs from the day show up in the K3Y logs. Just a great job being done all around.

Also very appreciative of the other K3Y ops. Everyone seems to go out of their way to try to get everyone they can in their log. Just one big, fun, well run, friendly, event. Thanks to all of you.

Doug N3PDT #6861T
n3pdt

Postby PA1FOX » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:57 pm

Hi Doug,

Yes it seems that I've got the hang of it. It seems though, that my pond of regular stations has run dry. It is very hard now to find new stations.
In Europe there are not so much SKCC hams around. During my latest shift of 3 hours K3Y operation, I only worked 2 stations from the US.

Far from any pileups it seems.

As a matter of fact, there is no reason for taking K3Y operation anymore as it does not differ from regular QSO'ing and S&P QSO's.

Still, I've learned a lot during the last weeks. I never knew I could reach the US on 40 meters, but have done so often the last days. 40 meters was never 'my band' but now that has changed considerably.

Yes, the K3Y coordinators are doing a very fine job. Bert, F6HKA, is the coordinator for EU and I am very greatful for him doing such a nice job.

CU on the bands, Doug

Alex, PA1FOX
Last edited by PA1FOX on Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
SKCC: #8265
PA1FOX

Postby n3pdt » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:52 pm

Alex,

Glad you're having fun too. From my experience, the K3Y event slows down mid-month and will pick back up the last week or so. There's still a lot of stateside ops that would love to get your station in the log. I know I would!

That's neat that you've "discovered" 40m. Here in the middle of the US, it can be an interesting, and very fun, band. I've worked everything from a couple hundred miles to over 6000 miles on it, depending on time of day and condx. Unfortunately for me here, it's often very noisy. Some of my best Hawaii QSOs have been on 40m.
n3pdt

Postby PA1FOX » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:36 pm

Hi Doug,

40m has always been a very crowded band to me. I've never done much HF anyhow, but since I started to relearn CW recently the HF bands come far more into picture than the VHF bands.

Last year, at first, most contacts were on 80 meters. I really had troubles with nerves and when abbreviations in contacts were used, I was glad to at least work locals in my own language. Last year may, someone showed me the sideswiper. I've built the one on the photo to the left and started using it straight away. Gradually the nerves have ceased and I've switched to DX. It has just been about two weeks ago since I made my first contact on 40 across the pond. It is since the last month that I can say the nerves are really gone.

This is my first K3Y event. Last year January I was really frightened to go on air (although I got my CW included license in 1987 with exam on 12wpm). All was due to some very bad experiences on 30 meters back then.

Currently I am trying to reach the C, but it will not come easy. In the middle of US, where you are, 40m opens up at a time which is very late for me here. I do have work and family life... :)

But then, you never know, I'll keep an eye open for you Doug.

73, Alex
PA1FOX

Postby PA1FOX » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:44 am

Just noticed the mis-spelling of your name. Sri bout that.

Changed it in previous posts.

Alex
PA1FOX

Postby n3pdt » Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:27 pm

No worries Alex. It's very common. I've even done it myself!
n3pdt

Re: K3Y - 2012

Postby ve1mam » Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Hi guys . By the look of things i will a K3Y operator in New-Brunswick Canada . Just a few more formalities to go trough and the registration of our local club.VE9CRM Will do my best to answer all of your calls using the club station and my speed X key. Looking forward to qso, qrs 73
VE1MAM
ve1mam

Return to K3Y Anniversary Special Event