Straight Key Recommendations

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

Postby K5DNA » Sat May 14, 2011 2:06 am

I am looking for a list of recommendations for a first time straight key user. Thanks! 73ss
K5DNA

Postby AC2C » Sat May 14, 2011 4:11 am

Can you provide a bit more details, please ?

Are you looking for recommendations regarding a key, or how to use it, for a radio, or a QSO ?

Please add afew more details.

Ron, AC2C
AC2C

Postby K5DNA » Sat May 14, 2011 4:44 am

I am considering purchasing a straight key for my Kenwood TS440 radio. I am looking for purchase recommendations/suggestions on which keys I should consider. Thanks! 73s
K5DNA

Postby kb4qqj » Sat May 14, 2011 5:19 am

Hi Larry,
As a first time straight key user, does that mean also an entry level cw operator? Or are you presently comfortable at speeds above 20 wpm on paddles. It makes a difference. Let us know and we'll be able to give you more info.
Assuming you are just beginning your cw operations I would suggest you try and find a Navy Flameproof or German Junker. They aren't overly expensive but they aren't the least expensive either. However, either one of those keys will provide a lifetime of easy, comfortable sending. Give us some more info and we'll be able to offer more suggestions.

73 for now,
Randy_KB4QQJ
kb4qqj

Postby K5DNA » Sat May 14, 2011 3:48 pm

I have been operating CW for several years with a MFJ 422 paddle at 13 wpm. I am looking for a straight key that will provide years of good service. Thanks 73s!
K5DNA

Postby K5DNA » Sat May 14, 2011 7:03 pm

Also, would like to know if it is better to buy a straight key with a switch or without a switch? Thanks! 73ss!
K5DNA

Re: Straight Key Recommendations

Postby kb4qqj » Sun May 15, 2011 3:34 am

K5DNA wrote:I have been operating CW for several years with a MFJ 422 paddle at 13 wpm. I am looking for a straight key that will provide years of good service. Thanks 73s!

Well, you'll get a "plethora" of answers on that one.. hi hi
For a life long key at little expense I would recommend the Navy Flameproof, German Junker or an old Brown Brothers.
For top shelf effortless sending The Begali Blade, NT9K or if you can find one and Amplidan or PS213 or 213A. None of those keys are cheap.
Those are my choices, and any of them will give you a lifetime of service. You have to determine which one you like for your self.
Having a switch? I'm assuming you meant the 'shorting bar" on some of the J-38 style straight keys. It has no real purpose anymore other than allowing you to key the rig and free both hands for tuning. If it takes you that long to tune, you need to work on the antenna hi hi.
If you have kids around or are short of desk space, I recommend not having one. Kids will inadvertently push it and run when it makes a noise or if something on the desk bumps it and the volume is down it will key the rig while it is unattended. Neither of those situations are healthy for the rig.
That should give you something to think about. Let us know what questions you have.

Randy_KB4QQJ
kb4qqj

Return to Elmer