polishing adjustment screws

Share your ideas, parts sources and key projects.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

polishing adjustment screws

Postby va3sax » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:54 am

I just bought a new(for me) bug from another ham. unforunately it's seen better days and all the parts are quite rusted. I was wondering if any of the key restorers on here have tips for making the it shine again; particularly the adjustment screws so that they move properly.
va3sax

Postby NT9K » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:49 pm

Screws are the hardest parts to polish. I do mine with a dremel tool and a wire wheel. Then I take them to the bench buffing wheel and polish them with a loose leaf buff using a non-cutting buffing compound. Don't have a buffing wheel? You can do it the hard way, just get some good metal polish like Flitz or if you can find it, Blue Magic. That is the best! Polish the threads with an old towel, something that has some matt to it, to get between the threads.

OM Santa brought me a vibratory tumbler and I plan to use that to polish my screws and small parts from now on. The media is crushed corncob with Flitz tumbling media additive. Hopefully, this will cut down on some of my polishing time. My last key had over 200 hours polishing time. That ain't right, hi.

If your new old bug is valuable, you might consider getting the book by WR Smith on restoring bugs. It is a great book, packed with lots of great stuff on restoring keys. I just wish I had gotten the book 5 years ago. Good luck, if I can be of any help, let me know..
73, Bill - NT9K
SKCC #1926c69t9was8hofdxq2dxc1
http://www.nt9k.com
NT9K

Postby va3sax » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:07 pm

Thanks Bill
Grabbed a tube of flitz and started to polish the arm. It's working wonders on the brass. also got started on one of the screws. they're a little bit more challenging getting in between the threads but none the less I can definitely see the oxide coming off.
va3sax

Re: polishing adjustment screws

Postby k0ro » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:17 pm

I recently bought a beat-up J-38 which needed a good polishing. I disassembled it and put all the metal parts except the key frame and bakelite base in my ammunition brass polisher. Its filled with what I believe to be walnut husk granules. It worked fairly well after five or six days but the fine dust compacted itself into the bore of all the connection posts and even into the threads of the screws. Took a lot of time to remove it. Actually had to use my tap and die tools to open up and clean the threads. I won't use it again.

But I do have another idea. My grandson has a small rock polishing tumbler which uses varying grit sizes in water. I may try putting some of the brass in it with 1000 grit abrasive and see what happens.

Ralph, KØRO
k0ro

Return to Making Keys