Straight key training

Moderators: kb4t, AC2C, nn8b

Straight key training

Postby k8mp » Wed May 14, 2008 12:42 pm

Has anyone run across a decent training video on how to handle a straight key? I try to help guys over-the-air but a picture is worth a thousand dits.

Later, Joe, K8MP
k8mp

Postby va3sax » Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:16 pm

why not make one for them? youtube will host it if you want to upload it. it's very easy
va3sax

Postby WA2JSG » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:39 am

I'll tell you who was a BIG help to me for the SKS contest. AF2Z put some videos on U-Tube, and they are great. Not necessarily cw training videos, but certainly good-procedure videos in the contests.
Just goggle AF2Z.
Curt # 3018
WA2JSG

Postby NT9K » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:09 am

You can find those SKS videos on the SKCC WES Webpages at:
http://www.skccgroup.com/sprint/wes/av.html
73, Bill - NT9K
SKCC #1926c69t9was8hofdxq2dxc1
http://www.nt9k.com
NT9K

Postby ka4iqd » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:37 pm

So far as form goes is there really a way to teach it? I kind of see the actual sending of code to be more like hitting a baseball, everyone does it a little bit different and should experiment until they find what works for them. Some may develop some weird looking styles but so long as they find it comfortable and they can send good code. That's not to say not to encourage them to try different positions if they feel they could do better or if they can't send for crap :wink: but does anyone think there is a "right way" to send code?

Steve ka4iqd #4302
ka4iqd

Postby kb4qqj » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:01 am

Joe,
I don't have training videos other than the ones I have made to teach cw classes but I can email you photos from several Morse Code Training manuals.This isn't a video but it shows a good grip on the key knob. And describes the difference between the "nippers", "swingers" "choppers" and just plain "don't do it this way" senders. You will also need to choose between the European method or US method. I prefer the European method for speed and it is far less tiring and painful on long qso's. I haven't figured out how to post photos in these replies yet so I will just email it to you if you are interested. They came from old Morse Code training manuals from the fifties and sixties. And Steve, I do believe there is a right way to send code! It is the best sounding code you can send and there are many "right" ways. However there is also a wrong way. That would be one that can't be copied by most operators. hi. In my opinion, there should always be a goal of the most accurate, consistent code you can possibly send. Speed is of no consequence now a days but accuracy and correctly sent cw is far more enjoyable than something you have to strain to decipher. I hope this is of interest Joe and I haven't bored you to sleep. This could turn into a very long thread LOL. But a very good one. Lot if good information to be gained from all replies.

Randy _ KB4QQJ
==============================================
Thunder is Loud and Thunder is impressive, but Lightening does all the Work
kb4qqj

Postby va3sax » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:00 pm

I'm rather curious about these manuals. I wonder if the library here has anything like that ir if I'd have to take a field trip to the archives library to look at the military one
va3sax

Postby ka4iqd » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:09 pm

kb4qqj wrote: And Steve, I do believe there is a right way to send code! It is the best sounding code you can send and there are many "right" ways. However there is also a wrong way. That would be one that can't be copied by most operators. hi. In my opinion, there should always be a goal of the most accurate, consistent code you can possibly send. Speed is of no consequence now a days but accuracy and correctly sent cw is far more enjoyable than something you have to strain to decipher.

Let me clarify a bit. :) When I say form, I mean the mechanical act of hand placement and arm and/or wrist movement. Not in the way the code sounds. I'm right there with you that it should sound good and be easy to copy. :D But so long as it is, would you, or anyone else, try to get someone to change the way they send it just because they have bad form? I've known people with hitting baseballs and throwing bowling balls especially that just throw a fit if someone isn't using what they consider proper form without regard to how well the person actually does.

Steve ka4iqd #4302
ka4iqd

Postby kb4qqj » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:13 am

KA4IQD Wrote:
Let me clarify a bit. :) ....... But so long as it is, would you, or anyone else, try to get someone to change the way they send it just because they have bad form? I've known people with hitting baseballs and throwing bowling balls especially that just throw a fit ...[/

Not a chance Steve!! I would never presume to tell someone sending good code they were using the wrong form. Send left footed with legs crossed if you like! :lol: I will suggest a different technique if I see someone in my class struggling with speed or accuracy. Maybe suggest a different key setting, but once they master good code then it is "To Each Their Own"

Randy
kb4qqj

Return to Elmer