Elmer's

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

Elmer's

Postby kc9gmn » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:59 pm

Can we get a group of people together that can write up articles of their favorite subject concerning Ham radio, such as: SWR, Feed Lines, Proper station setup, Antennas, Homebrew keys, Radio configuration, solid state vs. tube, etc.. or a subject they are well versed in. this may help the newer op's get get up and running faster, and become better Op's

Bob
KC9GMN
kc9gmn

Postby K4VD » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:08 pm

Hi Bob:

I think it is a great idea. Would the articles go into the upcoming newsletter? Maybe "Elmer's Corner"?
Kev, K4VD
SKCC 605
FISTS 11712 CC 1798
http://k4vd.net/
K4VD

Postby kc9gmn » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:51 pm

"Elmer's Corner" thats a great idea, and a newsletter, I didn't know we would be doing a news letter, yet another great idea Kevin.

Bob
kc9gmn

Postby K4VD » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:01 am

The newsletter was not my idea. I have seen a sample of the layout and I think it is going to be great. I'm excited about getting the first issue. I'm not sure, but I think it is going to be electronic only. I'll look back at my email and find out who is heading up this project.

Mark Saunders KJ7BS is working the newsletter. He does a lot of things for SKCC in the quietly in the background.
Kev, K4VD
SKCC 605
FISTS 11712 CC 1798
K4VD

Projects

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:25 pm

I have all kinds of info on CW projects like transmitters , antennas , home made keys and the list goes on. I am willing to help out

Charles KB8BFM

Re-inventing the wheel???

Postby kb4t » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:12 pm

Forgive me if I seem to be throwing cold water on this idea. :evil:

There is a TON, a MOUNTAIN, an entire MOUNTAIN RANGE :!: of printed matter/ePublished stuff on all of these subjects. The ARRL currently publishes several great texts on all manner of beginner subjects all at reasonable prices.

It is really SKCC's charge to provide a general education to all beginning hams? :?: This is the STRAIGHT KEY Century Club. Not the Beginning Ham Century Club.

Unless I'm mistaken, our focus is traditional code sending.

Elmer-ing associated with SKCC should center on topics specifically related to traditional keying methods. A discussion of SWR, antennas and such seems way out of place here. Especially when one can find MILLIONS of references to other web sites and published documents on these subjects.

In my view, diluting the focus of SKCC is counterproductive. We could spend a lifetime reinventing the wheel unnecessarily. I believe we should focus on the group's charter and not try to be all things to all people.

[ Donning my asbestos suit. Let 'er rip! ] :oops:

Frank KB4T
SKCC 981C31
kb4t

Postby K4VD » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:46 pm

Our focus as Elmers is helping people become hams and hams become better hams. Would you refuse to help someone that had an antenna problem because they contacted you through the SKCC Elmer program?

Now let's say for instance you didn't have the expertise needed to help with the problem (or maybe you are too busy to help). You could (and should I think) try to find one of the other Elmers that can help. At minimum, you might have some excellent web sites or could recommend an great book that would help answer their questions.

I would ask that if you only want to answer questions about keys or code procedures and such (which is absolutely great) that you pass on any requests for help outside your realm to one of the other Elmers. I know if I were talking to someone about setting up a station for PSK-31 I would probably find a hundred ways to mention the fun of CW and still get them set up for PSK-31.

Asbestos suits not required. :wink:
Kev, K4VD
SKCC 605
FISTS 11712 CC 1798
K4VD

Postby KJ7BS » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:14 am

I was contacted last week by a member looking for help building his code speed. We are setting up a schedule and program to do just that.

I was talked with cub scouts last week an introduced them to the world of amateur radio. Several parents stayed afterwards to discuss how to get their license and how to get started once their license was in hand. We are working on an informal class to learn the theory and operating practice.

My point is this. as amateurs we should embrace those trying to get into this hobby, oops FCC says it's amateur radio service, not a hobby, or tryint to improve. After all, did we not have someone to gently guid us along or are we super humans that can do everything for ourselves? Someone here said is should not be SKCC's job to educate new or prospective hams and they are right, but like it or not we are role models for the new radio amateurs and they look to us because we have experience. We've made mistakes. We know what works and what does not.

Most people, I said MOST people, learn best my doing and having something shown to them rather than reading about it.

If you don't think we, SKCC as a club, or we, amateur radio operators, should participate in elmering, don't do it, but let those of us with the desire to do so, do so.
Mark Saunders, KJ7BS
Glendale, AZ
Editor, The SKCC Centurion
SKCC 2240 C56
KJ7BS

Elmer's Corner

Postby KJ7BS » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:16 am

I need something for the Elmer's Corner in this month's The SKCC Centurion. Email to kj7bs@cox.net .
Mark Saunders, KJ7BS
Glendale, AZ
SKCC 2240 C56
KJ7BS

Want to help.

Postby WI0S » Sat Mar 10, 2007 2:48 pm

Guess I am surprised at some of the negative posting on this subject. But that’s ok! I know it's difficult to all agree on everything, that’s what makes our world go around.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to work a station that I was Elmering last fall. He was given the assignment of listening to stations and W1AW sessions to build up his speed. WOW, it was great to have him ask me to send faster yesterday!

An Elmering program is important to me, since I was once Elmered and its all about giving back when possible for me. Another organization that is dedicated to the preservation of Morse has a similar program. However, my observation is that it isn't working. Having said this, and NOT being critical, it would be great to see the SKCC Elmering program succeed.

PLEASE, add me to your list of Elmer’s if I qualify.

Kieth/WI0S
WI0S

Postby NW7US » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:19 am

Is the newsletter dead? Is there a place for Elmers to share stories and such? I loved the newsletter, and I wish to help out a bit as time allows, by sharing what I have learned ... in story form would be great.
Tomas David Hood - SKCC 4758 FISTS 7055
http://cw.hfradio.org
Propagation Editor: CQ, CQ VHF, Popular Communications
http://prop.hfradio.org
http://tomas-david-hood.com

NW7US

The SKCC Centurion

Postby KJ7BS » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:34 am

The SKCC Cenurion has been inactive since April 2009. My work schedule became intense and has not abated since. I do not currently have enough time to put out The SKCC Centurion. I've only made 6 contacts since April 2009 and those were all from my vehicle at work on a break.

If someone is willing, I will gladly transition its publication.
Mark Saunders, KJ7BS
Glendale, AZ
SKCC 2240 C56
KJ7BS

Postby NW7US » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:45 am

Well, first - you have done an excellent job; I've really enjoyed those newsletters. Secondly, work has to come first. I am going through some transitions right now and am not sure what this year will be like. A day at a time.

I do hope to see a newsletter again - but until then, just meeting fellow SKCC'ers is a great experience and I am enjoying this group of like-minded brass-pounders.

Thanks and 73!
Tomas David Hood - SKCC 4758 FISTS 7055
http://cw.hfradio.org
Propagation Editor: CQ, CQ VHF, Popular Communications
http://prop.hfradio.org
http://tomas-david-hood.com

NW7US

Re: Re-inventing the wheel???

Postby G0KZZ » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:29 am

kb4t wrote:Forgive me if I seem to be throwing cold water on this idea. :evil:

There is a TON, a MOUNTAIN, an entire MOUNTAIN RANGE :!: of printed matter/ePublished stuff on all of these subjects. The ARRL currently publishes several great texts on all manner of beginner subjects all at reasonable prices.

It is really SKCC's charge to provide a general education to all beginning hams? :?: This is the STRAIGHT KEY Century Club. Not the Beginning Ham Century Club.

Unless I'm mistaken, our focus is traditional code sending.

Elmer-ing associated with SKCC should center on topics specifically related to traditional keying methods. A discussion of SWR, antennas and such seems way out of place here. Especially when one can find MILLIONS of references to other web sites and published documents on these subjects.

In my view, diluting the focus of SKCC is counterproductive. We could spend a lifetime reinventing the wheel unnecessarily. I believe we should focus on the group's charter and not try to be all things to all people.

[ Donning my asbestos suit. Let 'er rip! ] :oops:

Frank KB4T
SKCC 981C31

In some ways the above comments are valid ones, our focus IS straight key code usage & CW.

However, there is something to be said for "one stop shopping". A neatly organised library of technical info is a very useful item.

Yes, there are tons of articles all over the web about countless ham radio related subjects, but how many of them are nothing better than misguided superstition and old wives tales?

OK, so there are many texts on various aspects of ham radio, and it is a valid argument that for the SKCC to produce even more could 'water down' the focus of the group, but, by the same token those articles could just as well bring the SKCC to the attention of operators who might otherwise be unaware of this gem of ours.

73, Mark.
G0KZZ

Return to Elmer