K1Y Sweep Certificate

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

K1Y Sweep Certificate

Postby K4VD » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:32 pm

Here is my first shot at a sweep certificate. I haven't found a printer yet so there may be significant changes. If you have any suggestions, please post them here. I could use some help with wording. Should the whole thing be Olde Englilsh or just parts?

Ideas?

I hope the gap on the left and right size can be used for the KH6 and KL7 endorsements. I'm trying to find a gold foil of Hawaii and Alaska.

Kev, K4VD
SKCC 605
FISTS 11712 CC 1798
http://k4vd.net/
K4VD

Re: K1Y Sweep Certificate

Postby Arnold » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:59 pm

Hi Kev,

would have liked to work for one of those! Only item missing is the SKCC logo.

vy 73,

Arnold OE1AGB
SKCC #301
Arnold

Postby N7YA » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:50 am

Hi Kev, the certificate looks great, I like "Ye Olde English" font for the big letters, maybe a straighter font for the name, call and smaller letters...especially the name and call...K1Y almost looks like KID, the text is well worded though. And i agree with Arnold, the logo would seal the deal nicely. but otherwise nice work.

Just some thoughts, you're on the right track for sure, now i just need to work the rest of the K1Y stations and get me one of those.
73...Adam, N7YA
SKCC #410
Flying Pigs #86
Hamusician #1
...i collect keys, whacha got?
N7YA

Sweep cert endorsements

Postby af2z » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:08 am

Kev, can I make a suggestion for the certificate endorsements? I understand you are considering stickers for the KL7 and KH6 endorsements but I wonder if ink-stamps might be better (after the suggestion someone had for stamping the QSL cards).

For one thing, an ink stamp is more permanent than an adhesive sticker. Also, I think a hand stamp lends more authenticity to the certificate as well. It wouldn't even have to be applied perfectly straight or be perfectly inked; such variation adds to the authenticity in a fashion. And maybe it would be a little easier than applying the stickers as well.

Anyway, I uploaded an example image of an ink-stamped certificate to the Yahoo group photos section in the Vote For QSL folder, just to get an idea how it might look. (I was going to include the link in this post but I think it won't display here due to Yahoo login requirements.)

My only other suggestion is to include the year and/or date somewhere on the certificate.

Drew
AF2Z
af2z

Postby K4VD » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:15 am

Very nice! Yes, that does have a professional look to it.

I was thinking those gold foil stickers which are common to awards with the state picture on it. Your example seems much more professional looking than what I was thinking.

I will play around with it a little more and incorporate at date. Maybe January 2007 should be mentioned somewhere and each signature field have a date also.
Kev, K4VD
SKCC 605
FISTS 11712 CC 1798
K4VD

Postby K4VD » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:59 pm

Here's my second try. I changed fonts a little and added dates. I haven't figured a good way (or have a good picture) of a straight key to add. Does anyone have a good graphic - maybe 300 dpi?

Kev, K4VD
SKCC 605
FISTS 11712 CC 1798
K4VD

Postby lu1dz » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:26 pm

Hello dear OM Kev:

A PC with good printer and nice paper will solve your problem of the printer.

It´s easy to introduce modification, pictures, logos, signatures, etc., and must be cheaper.

The GACW do it in this way using Power Point software.
Muchos saludos
Best regards
Alberto U. Silva LU1DZ
WWSA Contest Manager
http://www.geocities.com/lu1dz
http://gacw.no-ip.org
lu1dz

Postby K4VD » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:31 pm

Good morning Alberto:

I think I'll buy a small pack of certificate paper and give it a try. I could probably add the KL7 and KH6 endorsements without using a rubber stamp if I can find a good color printer.

Thanks for the hint.
Kev, K4VD
SKCC 605
FISTS 11712 CC 1798
K4VD

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:10 pm

K4VD wrote:Here's my second try. I changed fonts a little and added dates. I haven't figured a good way (or have a good picture) of a straight key to add. Does anyone have a good graphic - maybe 300 dpi?

You could add the SKCC key logo in grayscale. I uploaded an example in the Yahoo groups photo album, Vote For QSL album.

Drew
AF2Z

Postby KA4JQZ » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:17 pm

Kev, the certificate looks great. I was thinking that they would have a number to indicate the order of issue but that doesn't matter since it is a one time award. I would be interested to know who completed the sweep 1st, 2nd and so on but that is no big deal and off subject. IMHO it looks very professional and better than some of the ARRL awards. Most of my awards are in a notebook, save a few, but this one will be on display for sure at KA4JQZ/0.
Frank
KA4JQZ
SKCC 333C
Fountain CO
http://www.qsl.net/ka4jqz/index.html
KA4JQZ

Postby N1RX » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:47 am

The latest version of the certificate with the odified fonts and the red KH6 and KL7 endorsements looks great!. I checked out Derw's grey-scale Logo addition, and adds a nice touch. I think including the club logo in one form or another is a good idea.

I have a very nice 6 color HP printer that does a fine job. I'd be glad to do the printing of the final certs, if you need a volunteer for that.
N1RX

Postby K4VD » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:57 am

N1RX wrote:The latest version of the certificate with the odified fonts and the red KH6 and KL7 endorsements looks great!. I checked out Derw's grey-scale Logo addition, and adds a nice touch. I think including the club logo in one form or another is a good idea.

I have a very nice 6 color HP printer that does a fine job. I'd be glad to do the printing of the final certs, if you need a volunteer for that.

What's "odified"? I hope it is a good thing.

I didn't even notice the logo on Drew's design. It looks real nice. For some reason I was thinking of trying to incorporate a picture of a straight key into the design but the normal SKCC logo looks much better. I'll give that a shot.

Great on your printer. I think I might buy certificate paper with the border already on it. I like the light brown parchment look. If I get paper like that, do you think a regular office Laser Jet (B&W) would do the trick for the rest? That would mean that the endorsements would be black also. If that would take away from the appearance, then I'd sure like to take you up on your offer and try it out.
Kev, K4VD
SKCC 605
FISTS 11712 CC 1798
K4VD

Postby N1RX » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:14 pm

K4VD wrote: What's "odified"? I hope it is a good thing.

I didn't even notice the logo on Drew's design. It looks real nice. For some reason I was thinking of trying to incorporate a picture of a straight key into the design but the normal SKCC logo looks much better. I'll give that a shot.

Great on your printer. I think I might buy certificate paper with the border already on it. I like the light brown parchment look. If I get paper like that, do you think a regular office Laser Jet (B&W) would do the trick for the rest? That would mean that the endorsements would be black also. If that would take away from the appearance, then I'd sure like to take you up on your offer and try it out.

'Odified' is what happens if you don't press the M key hard enuf. I meant modified, of course. As for the printing- A B/W laser printer does produce lovely output. But, a little bit of color can really enhance a document. Having the endorsements and scrollwork in color, and perhaps the SKCC logo in a lighter shade of its original colors (i.e. gray/lt blue) could really dress it up, without being overpowering.

If you could send me a sample as a PDF, or high resolution bitmap, like a TIF file, I could print a sample in color, and mail it to you and see what you think. We have time to make it right.
N1RX

Postby af2z » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:45 pm

N1RX wrote: But, a little bit of color can really enhance a document. Having the endorsements and scrollwork in color, and perhaps the SKCC logo in a lighter shade of its original colors (i.e. gray/lt blue) could really dress it up, without being overpowering.

Yeah! Anyhow, you can't have an official certificate without a red stamp! :(

A couple more odifications: Might be good to move the stamps down toward the bottom more; almost to the signature lines. That would be a little more balanced. Maybe move the small text down a little as well. With the logo included the certificate looks a little squished toward the top.

For someone getting just one endorsement, might be good to put it in the middle between the two signatures.

Drew
AF2Z
af2z

Postby K4VD » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:00 am

I truly thought odified might have been a printer's term. :roll:

I will play a little with the suggestions and then send a tiff file to you to try out. I think the certificate paper can already have a color border. Look closely at the border I used, it is not very well lined up. I didn't spend much time on it because I thought it would be removed in the end. Do you think it can stay? If so, I'll try and straighten it up a little bit.

Give me some time to have the next revision ready. I'm way behind on logs.
Kev, K4VD
SKCC 605
FISTS 11712 CC 1798
K4VD

Postby N1RX » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:20 am

Sounds good Kevin. When you get some time, come up with something you would like to see, and email it to me. I'll print a copy, and mail it back to you. Right now, keeping up with the log is probably more important, as people will feel the anxiety rise if the last contact they needed doesn't show up quick enough....

:arrow: Keep up the great work- but, take some time for yourself, would ya?

:!: I will be operating K1Y/1 this weekend for a fair amount of my free time. 20M daytime, 40/80 afternoons and evenings.
N1RX

Postby K4VD » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:03 pm

Two more drafts for your approval. Pick one (or two if N1RX doesn't mind trying both) and I'll send it out for test printing.

I think I like the SKCC key a little more than the SKCC logo but I'm not sure what it would look like in print. It's not becoming too busy, is it?

Kev, K4VD
SKCC 605
FISTS 11712 CC 1798
K4VD

Postby N1RX » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:17 pm

They both look nice Kevin. But I think I agree with you on the Key background- That is light enough to no be overpowering. I would be willing to try printing both.

Great work!
-Bruce.
N1RX

Postby K4VD » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:36 pm

The files are on their way to you Bruce. I used your QRZ.com address. Hope that's OK. The files are 2 MB zipped. Each is a 300 dpi tiff file. Let me know if/when you get them OK.
Kev, K4VD
SKCC 605
FISTS 11712 CC 1798
K4VD

Samples printed and on the way.

Postby N1RX » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:53 pm

I have printed a copy of each of the two certificates styles, and mailed them to Kevin today for review. They are printed on Southworth 32lb, watermarked ivory colored granite paper. They were printed with a 6 color HP inkjet system. I think they look great. My personal preference is the one with the SKCC key background.

Kevin should receive them within a few days, and let us know what he thinks. I would be willing to do another trial printing if the feeling is that any tweaking is needed.

-Bruce N1RX
N1RX

Postby K4VD » Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:58 pm

Looking forward to it Bruce. I think we will have under 100 certificate winners. If I created the file for each, would you be able to print that many?

I have some funds to whelp with the costs. I would send you the batch of SASEs for them.
Kev, K4VD
SKCC 605
FISTS 11712 CC 1798
K4VD

Postby N1RX » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:10 pm

Yes, I can print that many. Not a problem. We may have to make arrangements other than email for getting me all the files. Maybe you could just burn a CD and send it along with the SASEs for the certs. Of course, double check callsign and name spelling before burning.

I picked up a pack of 250 sheets of this nice heavy paper. Ink is not a problem. If you try to reimburse me, I will just send the check back. We'll consider this my donation to the effort this year.

:wink: Of course, next year, we'll have all the certs for K2Y with endorsements for Puerto Rico (last count 3 members) Virgin Islands, Guam.....
N1RX

Postby K4VD » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:15 pm

I can burn CDs or DVDs. A perfect solution. I also have an FTP server for the inevitable stragglers.

Thanks for the help. This is a huge burden you've taken from me.
Kev, K4VD
SKCC 605
FISTS 11712 CC 1798
K4VD

Postby af2z » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:25 am

K4VD wrote:I can burn CDs or DVDs. A perfect solution. I also have an FTP server for the inevitable stragglers.

Thanks for the help. This is a huge burden you've taken from me.

It might be good to tell those who are applying for certificates to indicate how they want their name to appear: some may want nickname; others, full name.

Drew
AF2Z
af2z

Postby K4VD » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:02 pm

Bruce:

I just received the certificates you printed out. Beautiful!

I can see that I need to tweak the border a tad. The print looks exactly like the graphic I have on file so that should be an easy fix.

Also, I think I should remove the background color as the natural color of the certificate is perfect. I think I can select "no" background as opposed to a white background.

Finally, I need to figure out how to remove the edges of the block with "Hawaii" and "Alaska" in them so it doesn't break the circle.

Other than those things, I think we have ourselves a certificate! Excelent job.

Here's what I think we should do. I'll start filling a CD with the certificate files. When I get a good batch of them I'll mail the CD to you. I think Tom should get the certificates next so he can sign them and mail them and finally ship them to me for final signature and mailing. The only other option I have is to get Tom to sign something and send it to me to scan in. Does this seem reasonable? I'll run it by Tom for his thoughts also.
Kev, K4VD
SKCC 605
FISTS 11712 CC 1798
K4VD

Next

Return to First Anniversary Special Event