Connecting dot coil spring to lever?

Anything related to Bugs - semi or fully automatic.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

Connecting dot coil spring to lever?

Postby va7cpc » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:10 am

I'm fixing up a Vibroplex Lightning Bug Deluxe. Vibroplex has all the parts I need, except one. It's the part of the "dot coil spring assembly" (part 12 in the Lightning Bug machine parts diagram) that _isn't_ the dot coil spring itself. Let me explain . . .

There's a dot coil spring (conical coil spring) (I have it). There's a bent-wire pin that goes vertically through a hole in the main lever (it's in place).

There's _something_ that connects the large end of the dot spring to that bent wire, and lets the dot spring push the lever back to center after a string of dots. _That_, Vibroplex doesn't have, and I haven't seen a good drawing or photo of it.

I've been thinking about (a) whittling a shaped, drilled connector out of wood or plastic, or (b) using fishline to tie the base of the dot spring to a piece of plastic tubing, and putting the plastic tubing over the bent-wire pin.

Does anyone have ideas? Can someone point me to a picture on the Web of how the original looked? Thanks.

[My next stop will be at a friend's house to look at _his_ bug and see how it's made.]

Charles VA7CPC
va7cpc

Postby G0KZZ » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:20 pm

Hiya Charles

There's quite a few Vibroplex pix at http://www.n4ekv.com/keys.asp

There is a deluxe key, but can't make out the dot coil spring. However, there are many other ones where you can see the springs, so maybe you can find something similar.

Also found "Original Deluxe" here: [/url]http://www.morsemad.com/vib_files/079.jpg[url]

73, Mark.[/url]
G0KZZ

Postby Guest » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:51 pm

Mark --

Thanks for the URL's.

It seems that the spring is supposed to be _soldered_ to the wire that goes through the lever. I may substitute some monofilament fishing line, or fine wire, and just tie it in place.

My other spare parts just came from Vibroplex. Now the work starts . . .

Charles

Lightning Bug Parts

Postby K5GG » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:03 pm

I need parts for a ( 195974 ) Lightning Bug, Mainly all the moveing parts. The sending arm and all the stuff attached to it including the handles. Can you help me out? Can send a Picture if need Be Thanks
K5GG

Return to Bug Users Corner