weird bug question

Anything related to Bugs - semi or fully automatic.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

weird bug question

Postby ve1pvh » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:57 pm

Hey all, SKCC 7728 here. Really enjoyed the K3Y call chasing month. Great fun and nice to meet some of you. Got an unusual question and hope u guys could answer. I currently use a J-37 for SKCC and a BY-1 Bencher paddles for other contacts. When I got the paddles I learned to use them with what felt natural to me. Turns out I'm right_handed and I do the dahs with my thumb and the dits with my finger. Backwards right!. I would love to get a bug but have tried to change my operation by changing the paddles over. I can't do it my brain is so trained on thumb=dahs and finger = dits it won't relearn.
So question is if I get a left-hand bug and use it right handed ......
Thanks for any thoughts

:lol:
ve1pvh

Postby kb4qqj » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi VE1PVH,
You could get a left hand bug and try it that way. You will need to change the finger pieces too most likely.
Another option I use to send left handed, but more awkward, is to turn the bug around so the weight and pendulum are pointing at you and the finger pieces are pointing away from you. You have to rest your hand on the upper trunion screw/mainframe.
That way the dahs are on the dah's are on the thumb and dits are on the index finger. Does that make sense?

Randy_KB4QQJ
kb4qqj

Re: weird bug question

Postby k8jd » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:57 pm

I have always sent backwards on bugs and paddles because the only devices I could find were all right handed and I am lefty. Dahs with thumb and dits with fingers.
73 from K8JD, SKCC 1395, Centurion 18, Tribune 12, Band Endorsements; 160, 80, 60, 40, 30M, 20, 17, and 10M

Ham radio is real Radio, CW is real Hamming!
k8jd

Return to Bug Users Corner