MCW tone generator?

Discuss and share ideas for making your own amateur radio gear.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

MCW tone generator?

Postby KF7ATL » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:02 pm

A friend and I have a cw sked every Sunday evening on 40 meters to practice our code. I found an article in the QST archive (July 1997) about an MCW tone generator. We are thinking of starting a 2 meter cw net, since more people in our area might be able to participate that way. Has anyone made one of these or have experience with a 2 meter cw net?

Garth
KF7ATL

Postby k8jd » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:12 pm

A club I used to belong to had a MCW code practice net on a 220 mHz repeater.
I modified an old Motorola "PL"board with a reed for 700 Hz paging tone (all olde tech) wired to a microphone cord plugged into the FM rig.
I keyed a transistor that was originally part of the "reverse burst" switching that originally eliminated the squelch burst heard in other recievers in the system..This made a clean make/break of the tone.
Setting the output level trimpot on the board for about 2/3 deviation of the transmitter made a nice clean sounding tone on the air.
The final touch was a toggle switch to key the rig when code was to be sent and unkey at the end of the MCW transmission and a socket to plug in the mic for voice transmissions during the session.
No modifications to the 220 rig were necessary.
73 from K8JD, SKCC 1395, Centurion 18, Tribune 12, Band Endorsements; 160, 80, 60, 40, 30M, 20, 17, and 10M

Ham radio is real Radio, CW is real Hamming!
k8jd

Return to HomeBrew