How do you keep concentration?

Just starting out or wanting to learn about something new. Need help setting up your first station. Want to meet others just starting out. This category is for you.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

How do you keep concentration?

Postby Kd5jbk » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:15 pm

I've been fighting and fighting to learn cw for the last year or so. I am determined to make the most of my Tech license and get into HF. I am making progress at a death crawl and becoming more and more frustrated. I am generally good for about a 30-45 seconds or so of copy then I zone out as my brain chooses to wander off. By the time I can lasso and reel it back in I've missed half of the QSO. The faster the code the shorter the attention span. So how do you guys with short attention spans like me do it? How do you keep your focus?
Kd5jbk

Re: How do you keep concentration?

Postby W4YAT » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:06 pm

I'm surprised no one replied with suggestions. It's tough to maintain concentration, but you have to really force yourself to focus.

It helps if I know I'm going to limit study time to 15 mins or so, and then get up and let my mind wonder or turn on the tv. When I get back to it a few minutes later, it's again forced concentration for another 15 min segment. I've been going through the LCWO sessions, using headphones and typing the strings of letters into the text box provided. This again focuses my concentration.

After I've done that for 4 or 5 times I sit and listen to code on the radio, while doing something else entirely. I no longer have to have concentration on the code, but the continuous sound helps me to subconsciously pick out the letters and numbers that I've learned so far.

I'm just a beginner, but this is helping me to pick up the rhythm of the code.

Good Luck to You,
Barry
W4YAT

Return to Beginners Corner