I think I'm ready.....advice?

Just starting out or wanting to learn about something new. Need help setting up your first station. Want to meet others just starting out. This category is for you.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

I think I'm ready.....advice?

Postby KD8EDC » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:06 pm

Hello all,

I'm no newbie to online forums, heaven knows, but this is my first post on SKCC. I've been working for several weeks on improving (learning) Morse code. I've been using Wolpi's app, Morse Runner and listening to real QSOs. I can easily recongnize all letters, numbers, and the prosigns are coming. I have started to pick out small words. I still seem to have more difficulty copying real QSOs (even controlling for the QRM etc) than artificially produced QSOs...Not sure why that is.

However, I've been practicing at about 18/25, and what mostly happens is I'm copying a bit behind. I'm not too bad at picking out callsigns.

I'd love to get on the air....I'm certain that working real stations on the air will help just as speaking with native speakers has helped me learn languages.

So, my question to you is, do you think I'm ready, and if so, how should I go about starting out?

Thanks and 73!

Mark KD8EDC
KD8EDC

Re: I think I'm ready.....advice?

Postby AA3EE » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:58 pm

Step 1: Turn on your radio.
Step 2: Find a clear frequency and call CQ at a slower speed than you can copy.

Hams have been butchering Morse code on their first dozen or so QSOs for decades, join the club!

Good luck!
Dave AA3EE
AA3EE

Re: I think I'm ready.....advice?

Postby VE7DQS » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:33 am

So, Mark, how is progress now, 5 months later?

I am about where you were back March, still learning, not on the air yet.

Ralph
VE7DQS

Return to Beginners Corner