Brand Spanking New....Almost!

Just starting out or wanting to learn about something new. Need help setting up your first station. Want to meet others just starting out. This category is for you.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

Brand Spanking New....Almost!

Postby K6PLE » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:41 am

Hello all,

Thanks for having me over!

Been a ham for almost 6 months now and having a great time. Especially trying to explain to my wife why I need more wires up in the trees :roll:

For some reason I thought I would be able to pick up on CW in a flash and be some sort of ringer as test taking has always been pretty easy for me. I mean geez... it's only 26 characters some numbers and a little punctuation, and I already know most of the words! How hard could it be? Really, I have found that learning the characters was not too hard, the difficult part is combining them together to make words. This has been especially frustrating when I have to form the word and spelling in my head and force my hand to comply with my brains instructions. Wouldn't you know, as soon as my hand receives the instruction, my brain forgets what it was doing only moments before. The result is I somehow completely forget how to spell my name! This is sooooo much fun I can hardly stand it.

What I did was, go out and get some crayons and giant kindergarten pencils so that I could start all over. I am also starting a recovery program for the Farnsworth Gap. This condition will bring me back down to 10 or 12wpm with standard spacing. I would expect that eventually my subconscious will take over and there will be some sort of miraculous moment when I finally hear words and phrases. Oh, I also put away my paddles and decided to go exclusively straight key, for a while at least. This will be hard as I have a couple Begali's but that's okay because my straight key is also really nice.

Okay, so I'm going to check in on 7.114 now, please be lenient and remember that I am a recovering Farnsworth Gapper and need help.

73-K6PLE
K6PLE

Re: Brand Spanking New....Almost!

Postby K6PLE » Sat May 02, 2015 11:45 pm

Maybe that was a bit too anamated for my first post. I'll try that again.

Hello and thanks for having me.
Been a ham for about 6 months now and really enjoying the CW learning experience as well as shack and antenna building. I believe l may have been trying to go too fast. As described earlier, I am taking a step back to move forward. Accuracy should have been a priority right after learning the characters. Have had to go it on my own as there isn't anybody in my local club interested in CW no less rig or antenna discussions. I guess my questions are few as I have an intense reading habbit. Nonetheless, I am hoping for some new friends to possibly engage in some SKEDs and I believe this is the place.

Just got a new QRP rig and put up an astonishing Fat 30 dipole so you will probably catch me on 10.106 or 10.116 at least untill the newness wears off.

73-K6PLE
K6PLE

Return to Beginners Corner