New member from South Australia

Just starting out or wanting to learn about something new. Need help setting up your first station. Want to meet others just starting out. This category is for you.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

New member from South Australia

Postby VK5NQP » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:11 pm

G'Day all, New member #13144 from the Barossa Valley in South Australia.
I pased my Licence (with 5wpm code) back in 1979, but have never used CW since until tonight when I put out a CW CQ call, but unfortunately no answer.
I am currently studying to upgrade to a full licence & have been enthused to try out CW again, with a hope of getting more contacts when conditions are poor.
I am interested in portable operation with SOTA & working from National Parks for various awards.
I still have my old key that I probably got when I was learning back in '79 & have just built a hacksaw type sideswiper (pic in the Making Keys forum)
Looking forward to making lots of CW contacts.
David
VK5NQP
Barossa Valley
South Australia
VK5NQP

Re: New member from South Australia

Postby k8jd » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:49 pm

Welcome and I hope you have made some CW contacts by now!
S Australia is beyond my usual range on the air but I have worked some of the SKCC members there now and then on 10 and 20M with my wires and 100W.
If you have a good antenna and I get my yagi's rotor problem fixed in our spring warmup we may be able to have a chat in a few months..
73 JOHN, k8jd, # 1395T
73 from K8JD, SKCC 1395, Centurion 18, Tribune 12, Band Endorsements; 160, 80, 60, 40, 30M, 20, 17, and 10M

Ham radio is real Radio, CW is real Hamming!
k8jd

Re: New member from South Australia

Postby vk2jdr » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:12 pm

Hi David, I stumbled across this fantastic site and have spent a lot of time going through the posts learning as much as I can.

I'm in NSW so on 40, we would have no trouble hooking up for a QSO. I've been learning CW since Christmas and have made a few contacts however it still feels a bit intimidating so would be great to QSO with a fellow L plater.

Look me up on QRZ.com and drop me an email so we can work a sked.

Regards,

David
VK2JDR
vk2jdr

Return to Beginners Corner