Centurian Rule Clarrification

Just starting out or wanting to learn about something new. Need help setting up your first station. Want to meet others just starting out. This category is for you.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

Centurian Rule Clarrification

Postby AK4NY » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:55 pm

This afternoon I had a contact with a fellow SKCC member. That member was using paddles and a keyer, I was using a straight key. In light of rule 6 for Centurians which states "QSOs must be made using a straight key, side swipper (cootie), or bug", does that mean both parties must be using a straight key, side swipper or bug? Can this QSO be counted toward my Centurian or should I treat it as a QSO with a non-SKCC member?
Thanks in advance for clarification.
tom
AK4NY
AK4NY

Re: Centurian Rule Clarrification

Postby KC9KHG » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:11 pm

Did the member you made contact with exchange his SKCC number with you? Rule #3 says both parties must be members, rule #6 as you stated. So no, it can't be used toward any award.

Members can use any key they like, but shouldn't exchange numbers unless using approved keys...in the spirit of SKCC.

Good luck on getting your Centurion award.

Randy
SKCC #3687Tx6
WCC #281
KC9KHG

Re: Centurian Rule Clarrification

Postby AK4NY » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:01 am

Thank you for the response. We did exchange numbers. In the QRP rules it explicitly states "Both operators must be using a straight key, sideswiper, or bug for a QSO to qualify for either QRP award" but that wording does not appear in the Centurian rules, thats why I was confused.
tom
AK4NY

Return to Beginners Corner