help improving speed...overcoming mental plateau

Just starting out or wanting to learn about something new. Need help setting up your first station. Want to meet others just starting out. This category is for you.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

help improving speed...overcoming mental plateau

Postby ke5akg » Mon May 05, 2014 5:27 am

For the last 6 months I have been practicing diligently to improve my speed to a really useful level. My goal is to be able to consistently copy 20 wpm. I am frustrated that I seem to have hit a plateau at around 13-15 wpm, but my problem is different than the problems usually reported on those boards...it is "anticipation": when I am in a QSO or have the computer send me meaningful text, I have a tendency to anticipate what will come next, and when I am wrong, I will be "thrown off" and then miss several letters or even words.
This limits my speed to 15 wpm or below, when I still have time to correct the error. It seems most people find it easier to copy meaningful text, but for me this anticipation creates the opposite effect; when I have the computer send me random character groups, I get essentially perfect copy at 18 wpm and 90% copy at 20 wpm. The solution seems to be to just "let go" and copy what I hear instead of trying to guess, but so far this seems to be impossible for me...I just cannot "switch off" this part of my brain.
Has anyone experienced the same problem, and if yes, what have you done to overcome it (I know...practice...I do that already)? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks and 73, Bernhard, KE5AKG
ke5akg

Re: help improving speed...overcoming mental plateau

Postby W5ALT » Wed May 07, 2014 6:14 pm

I do the same, Bernard, so don't feel too alone. I find that the problem comes and goes; some days it's worse than others.

Unfortunately I don't have a solution. I just try copying QSO's by ear on the air and after awhile I stop anticipating. But the next day, I'm back to anticipating and when I anticipate wrong, I miss a few letters.
Walt, W5ALT
W5ALT

Postby kk4qyn » Thu May 29, 2014 1:19 pm

Similar problem here. I've been working on improving my receive speed and I'm around 10 wpm. I'm sure age doesn't help but I find sometimes characters that I already know draw a blank when receiving.
kk4qyn

Postby wb5hqo » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:06 am

I'm another one who "anticipates". I'm still just trying to be able to copy a word or so, on the air. And yea there are times when I hear a character that I know but a I draw a blank. 73s Forrest WB5HQO.
wb5hqo

Postby wb5hqo » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:06 pm

I'm another one who "anticipates". I'm still just trying to be able to copy a word or so, on the air. And yea there are times when I hear a character that I know but a I draw a blank. 73s Forrest WB5HQO.
wb5hqo

Postby KA7CTT » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:52 pm

It happens to all of us, at one time or another. Some of us, more often than we'd like.
Solutions??..... Don't know of any 'sure-fire' solutions. Just the obvious, "practice" and
even that is not a guarentee.
Just muddle thru it and copy what you are able, do your best and have fun.
'Lynn' KA7CTT
SKCC 1522
NNNN
KA7CTT
SKCC #1522
KA7CTT

Return to Beginners Corner