Wire question

Just starting out or wanting to learn about something new. Need help setting up your first station. Want to meet others just starting out. This category is for you.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

Wire question

Postby ke4pjr » Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:22 am

Okay, I'm really new to cw and have searched google with no real answers. What size or gauge wire do I need to hook my key up? I have found a lot of diagrams on how to hook them up but no answers on what size wire to use.
Thanks and 73
ke4pjr

Re: Wire question

Postby W5ALT » Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:37 pm

Assuming you have a modern solid state rig, the size of wire isn't important, since it doesn't carry hardly any current. I usually buy an audio jumper cable with the correct plugs for my rigs on both ends and cut it in half, so I have 2 cables for my keys.

If you have a really old tube-type gear, then you might need to get a larger wire size if they used an older style of keying, but that would be rare these days.

Walt, W5ALT
Walt, W5ALT
W5ALT

Re: Wire question

Postby ke4pjr » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:31 am

Thanks Walt. I have a modern solid state and I have been using phone wire, but only to hear the keyer (practice) without setting break so I haven't actually transmitted with it. Now to just get the nerve to actually transmit! hi hi
ke4pjr
ke4pjr

Return to Beginners Corner