How do you do it?

Just starting out or wanting to learn about something new. Need help setting up your first station. Want to meet others just starting out. This category is for you.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

How do you do it?

Postby N7HQY » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:54 pm

I have been a ham since 1986, I took and passed the 5wpm code speed test, by default, but I have never been very good at it. At my best i probably could reliably copy 8wpm, barely enough for a decent cw qso. I really really want to gain a true skill at cw, I love the mode and the challenge, what can I do (besides practice or on air frustration which I now do as regularly as time permits) to help gain this valuable skill?
N7HQY

Re: How do you do it?

Postby SY1AHF » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:31 pm

I thing the answer is simple . Practice in frequent basis
By experience, a group of 20 random people started an every day program for about 5 months, 4-5 days/week, 3-4 hours/24 (Most of them listening SK and writting).
At the end of the program most of them where able to handle about 20wpm.
After 25 years of absolute no morse code i find myself (a week ago) to get 5-8 wpm.
U need a practice friend not only for QSO's but also QTC,s. Try to RX-TX big msg's 20min or so.
Last edited by SY1AHF on Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SY1AHF

Postby SY1AHF » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:34 pm

I 'm about to finish my radio base (need antenna :)) and i could help u with that.
SY1AHF

Postby k8kzb » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:24 pm

What worked and still works for me is getting the phone book and sending names and numbers from the white pages. It's helped me with my speed on send and receive, also just get on the air and QRS if need be.

Jeff
k8kzb

Postby W5ALT » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:26 am

Frustration is a state of mind - it depends on your own viewpoint. Are you upset you aren't as good as someone else or are you having fun?

Try working a weekend contest. When I did that the first time, my code speed went way up by making a few dozen QSO's in a weekend. And just have fun. The pressure and frustration is up to you. Me, I prefer having fun.

Walt, W5ALT
Walt, W5ALT
W5ALT

Postby N5SWE » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:50 am

I know this an old post but I had to put in my 2 cents worth.
My CW was rusty also (45 years rusty). I was determined to get back to it.
There are lots of free and paid applications that do a good job on internet and cell phones.
I started with the free G4FON CW practice on my computer. www.g4fon.com
I dedicated to at least 10 minutes per day for practice. I used the QSO pull down menu at 15 words per minute.
I copied the 3 minute QSO on paper. Then used a code practice oscillator to send it back (QSO is retained on screen)
It works! 3 weeks later I am making QSOs with fairly good copy.
Good luck
Roy N5SWE
N5SWE

Return to Beginners Corner