Hello from a new SKCC member

Just starting out or wanting to learn about something new. Need help setting up your first station. Want to meet others just starting out. This category is for you.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

Hello from a new SKCC member

Postby K7MEM » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:59 pm

Good Morning Everyone,

I am new to the SKCC an thought I might introduce myself with a little true story. I am posting this in the "Beginner's Corner" because it is about a beginner.

In the mid 80s I was returning from Germany after a three year contracting assignment. In Germany I ran with a reciprocal license as DA2EU. At the time, the 15 Meter novice band (CW - 21,100-21,150 MHz) was really active and I did most of my operating there. But when I came back to the US, it was a year or more before I was able to set up my rig again. When I did, I went right to the 15 Meter band and found that it was pretty dead. It could have been many things from a crappy antenna to band conditions, etc.., but I was determined to find someone on the air.

So one day I was tuning around 15 Meters and I heard an odd CW signal. I am not sure how to explain it but, after a while on the bands you sort of sense when a transmission is just "run of the mill" or there is something odd. So I started listening a little more carefully to this odd CW signal. As I listened I heard <hello is anyone out there. can anyone hear me. my name is XXXX and my call is XXNXXX. If anyone can hear me please come back.>. Mind you, this was all in rather slow, very deliberate, code. But it was rather good code. This person had obviously practiced sending CW. But he must have missed the section in the manual about sending a CQ. But maybe he was sending a CQ, before I came across him.

As he was sending this, again and again, I was zero beating my transmitter (I usually run QSK with a separate transmitter and receiver) and then gave him a call at approximately his sending speed. There was a little bit of silence and then he came back to me. He was very excited. It turns out this was his very first CW contact and he was very nervous. After that his code was full of errors, but it didn't matter. We talked for about 15-20 minutes and he finally had to go. The whole episode completely exhausted him.

All I can say is "never give up". The section from 21,100 to 21,200 MHz is still allocated for CW. I am listening in the 40 Meter band (7.100-7.125 MHz) right now, but I like to tune around 15 Meters often. Hope to hear you there.
73, Martin, K7MEM
Ash Fork, AZ
http://www.k7mem.com

The longer I live, the more I see that I am never wrong about anything, and that all the pains I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have only wasted my time. - George Bernard Shaw
K7MEM

Postby W5ALT » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:05 am

Welcome to SKCC, Martin, and thanks for the story. Here's another true one.

Back in about 1970 a young novice got his license and went to the radio club to make his first contact. He called CQ a few times at about 5 WPM, then finally someone answered at about the same speed. On hearing his own call, he froze and broke out in a cold sweat and forgot how to copy and send CW.

After about 20 or 30 minutes, he finally got the nerve to try again. The second time, he actually copied the call and had a first QSO.

Today that youngster still enjoys SKCC more than any other operating activity. He was originally WN5CLS, but today he's W5ALT.

It really did happen that way!

Walt, W5ALT
W5ALT

Re: Hello from a new SKCC member

Postby AB7DG » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:30 pm

Hi Martin,

I just joined this group myself within the last couple days, so I am excited about getting active. As I was reading through your comments, I noticed your DA2EU call, and the timeframe you were in Germany. I was stationed at Lindsey AS, Wiesbaden Germany from 1988-1992 and had a DA2EN call. I belonged to the Wiesbaden Amateur Radio Club at the time too and was really active. Anyway, I just wanted to say hello!

Tony - AB7DG
SKCC#9598
AB7DG

Return to Beginners Corner