More navy flameproof questions

Just starting out or wanting to learn about something new. Need help setting up your first station. Want to meet others just starting out. This category is for you.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

More navy flameproof questions

Postby Kl2sx » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:42 pm

Hey crew, I'm new to CW, yet to get on the air with a key.... Still working on learning the Code.
I'm looking to pick up a Flameproof, since I've read nothing but good things on these keys. Are there any manufacturers I should look for the are better than others? I've researched them and all the different makers and was curious if CTEs are better than CMIs, etc. Or does it really matter?
Any info would be wonderful as I'd like to pick one up soon as it is getting colder and darker up here. Time to get on the air... A lot! Thanks!
Kl2sx

Postby N6EV » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:55 am

Hi Charlie,
I haven't heard of significant differences between the manufacturers. I chose a CJB (J.H. Bunnell & Co) only because I have many other Bunnell keys in the collection and I like their quality. Not to say the other manufacturers have less quality.

Personally, I'd recommend making your choice based on condition and price rather than the manufacturer. They are plentiful so have paitence and wait for the right one to come along.

Others may have info I'm not aware of on differences between the manufacturers.

Hope to work you on the air soon! AK to CA is easy peasy.
Paul N6EV
SKCC 3358T / FISTS 1407 / NAQCC 2247 / CWOps 380
http://www.N6EV.com/
Code Elmer
N6EV

Return to Beginners Corner