new to cw

Just starting out or wanting to learn about something new. Need help setting up your first station. Want to meet others just starting out. This category is for you.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

new to cw

Postby w4na » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:54 pm

hi ive learned all the char except puncuation and ive been on lcwo trying to build my copying skills and im having a hard time. I figured out that i use 11 char speed and 7 eff speed and do good anything faster and my brain overloads hihi .. and only pratice abt 20 mins a day but still wanting to think about the char being sent and messes me all up i guess i just keep at it till it becomes natural i hope... and i send practice cw using my j-38 key i can send good but get stumped on receving ... any suggestions?? i dont want to be a speed demon thanks..
w4na

Postby KC9KHG » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:15 am

Hi Nathan,
I would say you're ready to get on the air. SKCC has a great Elmer program. http://www.skccgroup.com/elmers.htm Also,check out the K3UK sked page. http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/index.php?page=skcc Just click on the "log in" button once you get to the site,add your info...name QTH,SKCC #,etc... Then just post that you are new and looking for QRS QSOs and people will be glad to help you out. I lurk there quite a bit unless I am looking for Q's.But I always keep an eye out for new operators looking for slow contacts.
Welcome to the forum and SKCC! Hope to work you soon!

73 & fair well!
Randy-KC9KHG
SKCC #3687Tx6
WCC #281
KC9KHG

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:25 pm

hi randy,

thanks for the reply but i figured out that when i use lcwo i was using the keyboard and then i decided to write it down i do bad now lol but when i use the keyboard i dont miss any ... no i have to teach my brain and hand to work together lol .. i might try to copy on the wes tomm thanks

Postby k8jd » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:09 pm

Have you tuned a rig to 7100-7120 kHz lately and tried to copy signals ?
Listening to computer generated Morse is nothing like you hear in a real QSO !
Try listening for a slow station sending a CQ and then try to copy the callsign to start with. After you get good at finding a callsign you can listen to see where the stations are when they send "QTH is..." And so on...
7114 is a good frequency to tune around for QRS QSOs.
73 from K8JD, SKCC 1395, Centurion 18, Tribune 12, Band Endorsements; 160, 80, 60, 40, 30M, 20, 17, and 10M

Ham radio is real Radio, CW is real Hamming!
k8jd

thanks

Postby w4na » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:21 am

yes i sure have and we have worked been listening and coping qso's as well and having a blast have had 10 qso so far ....73 see u on the bands
w4na

Return to Beginners Corner