new to portable ops

Discuss and share portable operating equipment and techniques. Photos are encouraged.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

new to portable ops

Postby wd9dwe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:40 am

i have an mfj 9040 i plan touse/9 in the state parks.. i plan to use a lawn mower battery or a motrcycle battery ..am i right far?
Dennis wd9dwe 1564T
dennis wd9dwe
wd9dwe

Postby kc2dqv » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:04 pm

try one of the 12 volt power packs sold in auto parts stores and truck stops. I use one with a 9040 here in the shack sometimes. seems to work ok so far :)
kc2dqv

Postby AA4N » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:17 am

You won't need anything as big as a car battery for the 9040. You could probably go for an hour or two with just 8 or 9 D-cells in series. I saw something the other day about rechargeable 6volt lantern batteries on close-out at wally world. A pair of those in series would be a good size power supply for a 5 watt rig.

mike AA4N
AA4N

Re: new to portable ops

Postby kb4qqj » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:41 am

wd9dwe wrote:i have an mfj 9040 i plan touse/9 in the state parks.. i plan to use a lawn mower battery or a motrcycle battery ..am i right far?
Dennis wd9dwe 1564T

Dennis,
a small 7Ah gel cell or like kc2dqv said, get one of the power packs (jumpstart box) from the auto store. It will last all day at 5 watts and as long as you don't let it drop below 10.5 volts you can recharge it over and over or leave it hooked up at home so it is always ready to go. you are on the right track so far. If you run up on one of the 18 Ah cells at hamfests (about $20) they will last days and can be easily charged. Good luck and have fun! I play portable about 60% of my time. I enjoy activating Cabooses, lighthouses, islands and battle grounds. It doesn't take much and you can make it as easy or hard (hiking) as you want.
73 for now,
Randy_KB4QQJ
kb4qqj

Postby wd9dwe » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:24 pm

guys i thank all of you for your input.
now i have sold the mfj..never did like the reciever..couldnt tune spot on..
now i have a ten tec qrp radio 40/20 and a dipoloe.
Randy there are several local towns that have a caboose because they were rr towns in this area. perhaps if i ask nice i can activate a station some time.. yes i'll use ssb for the guys who dont wanna .. but mostly code.. besides, public demos with ssb is a little easier for the general public to figure out..
i could get real lazy although i copy in head fine.. use a screen so folks can see and hear cw.
sounds like more work than using a straight key if ya asked me.
then again as afriend once said. if we had ssb on 10 back in 77 we would a never learned the code enough..to ever go up until 2000 lol
Dennis wd9dwe :mrgreen:
dennis wd9dwe
wd9dwe

Postby kb4qqj » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:34 am

Well Done Dennis,
Glad the rig is working out for you! Yes! The cabooses are a hoot and I'm sure they will let you operate from them. Let us know when and which one you are going to activate. I'll make it a point to work you and maybe from the Burlington Caboose!! LOL

Randy_KB4QQJ
kb4qqj

Return to Portable Operating