request for help with station

Tell us about your station. Show us photos. Need help setting up your station, ask here.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

request for help with station

Postby K9AIM » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:43 am

I am a straight key guy who was licensed back in 1976 as a novice at 13, went QRT for 30 years after getting my advanced in 1977, and now am back. First rig that got me back was a Ten-Tec Argonaut V. Now I sold it and got an (old) Omni C (the rig i used to dream about as a teen when I had an HW-16 with xtals).

question: what kind of keyers are compatible? i am mainly a straight key guy, but want to learn a keyer too. I just bought a Nye SSK-1-K but hear it may not work with the Ten-Tec unless it is a reed relay type keyer. I searched for a Ten-Tec 645 but a guy in England wanted a fortune.

Any help / advice would be appreciated.
K9AIM

Postby k8jd » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:26 am

You don't need to match brands, TenTec keyer is not needed to match a TenTec radio !
Any modern keyer will work with a solid state rig. Any MFJ keyer, for instance, will work with any solid state rig.
You just have to see if you have positive voltage on the key line.
Most open collector output circuits on a keyer will work for you.
Older tube or hybrid transmitters had negative voltage to be keyed and needed a keyer that handled this polarity.
Have fun with the keyer.
73 from K8JD, SKCC 1395, Centurion 18, Tribune 12, Band Endorsements; 160, 80, 60, 40, 30M, 20, 17, and 10M

Ham radio is real Radio, CW is real Hamming!
k8jd

Return to Your Radio Station