WB2VVV in Rhode Island

Tell us about your station. Show us photos. Need help setting up your station, ask here.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

WB2VVV in Rhode Island

Postby WB2VVV » Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:59 am

When you work me on CW you're probably hearing a Ten Tec, or my Johnson Viking Adventurer:

ImageWB2VVV Shack 4 by Ski Freak, on Flickr

My Ham Shack is a stand alone post and beam shed a few hundred feet from the house, with a 64' freestanding tower next it. It has a wood stove in it for when it's cold, and power fed underground from the garage which has a backup power generator.

ImageWB2VVV Shack 1 by Ski Freak, on Flickr

Up the tower I currently have a Steppir 3 element Yagi-Uda beam for 20 meters thru 6 meters, and above that a 40 meter rotary dipole and a 20' boom 12 element 2 meter Yagi-Uda beam. I have some wire antennas including a 20 meter unterminated rhombic aimed at EU, that also works pretty well on 80 meters as an omni, plus a 40 meter center-fed vertical dipole.

73, Chris
Last edited by WB2VVV on Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
WB2VVV

Re: WB2VVV in Rhode Island

Postby WB2VVV » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:21 am

Here is a look up the tower. You can see my side-mounted 6m Triple Vee Dipole array. Each element is a half wave dipole made from a pair of mobile whips, but built as a 90 degree horizontal Vee Dipole. The three are at mounted at about 1, 1.5, and 2 wavelengths above the ground, and all fed in phase. They provide roughly omni-directional coverage with a slight gain peak to the Southwest, and stacking them provides some gain on the horizon and better lower angle coverage.

Up top is a 12 element 2m beam on a 20' boom for Au and Tropo, then a 42' long 40m rotatable dipole (boom aligned), and finally a 3 element Steppir beam which is essentially a 3 element monoband beam for 20m thru 6m (plus an extra director for only 6m). 73, Chris WB2VVV

ImageWB2VVV 40m Rotatable Dipole by Ski Freak, on Flickr
Last edited by WB2VVV on Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
WB2VVV

Postby WB2VVV » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:58 pm

There is also a chance you may work WB2VVV when I am up in the White Mountains of New Hampshire, when I am up at my Mountain Cabin. My North-Central NH shack consists of an Icom IC-706 built into a desk.

Imageski house shack by Ski Freak, on Flickr

My antennas in NH are a sloping vertical wire around 35 feet long fed through an UNUN transformer, with a few ground radials and matched through a JRC antenna tuner, covering most of the HF bands. I also have a 6m Delta Loop, and a 2m Horizontal Vee Dipole. All of these antennas are supported by trees in the woods and sometimes require repairs in the spring-time to address winter damage from heavy snowfall. This QTH is at 1700 feet AMSL on the Western slope of a mountain, and is surrounded by many peaks that are over 4000 feet AMSL. Mount Washington is to the North a short drive away.
WB2VVV

Postby N7BDY » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:26 pm

Very nice setup .
N7BDY

Return to Your Radio Station