Connecting a Navy Flameproof to an IC701

Tell us about your station. Show us photos. Need help setting up your station, ask here.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

Connecting a Navy Flameproof to an IC701

Postby KS4CM » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi guys,
I have a navy flameproof key and an Icom 701. The key has the original 1/4 in. plug. I put it into an adapter(1/4 to 1/8) to plug into the back of my IC701. I am getting a solid continuous tone. I really didn't want to mess with the original plug. The key worked fine on my 746pro(which I had to sell) Any advice? Could this be a polarity problem?

Thanks,
Bill
KS4CM
KS4CM

Re: Connecting a Navy Flameproof to an IC701

Postby W5ALT » Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:07 am

What you are describing is a common problem between various rigs. A key is just a switch, so there's no polarity, but many rigs assume you will use an internal keyer, so they have a stereo plug to connect both the dit and dah sides to the rig. You need to check the rig's manual to see how they want the key connected. If you use the wrong type plug it can do anything from nothing to continuous tone to alternating dit-dahs depending on the rig. You may be able to use a stereo or mono adapter or maybe have to make your own.

For each of my rigs, I make an adapter cable that goes from whatever the rig requires to a mono jack. Since all my keys have mono plugs, I can use any key with any rig, but the adapters for the rigs are not generally interchangeable.

Walt, W5ALT
Walt, W5ALT
W5ALT

Return to Your Radio Station