[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
SKCC • View topic - Least amount of tools required for key making?

Least amount of tools required for key making?

Share your ideas, parts sources and key projects.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

Least amount of tools required for key making?

Postby G0KZZ » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:27 pm

G0KZZ

Postby NT9K » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:04 am

73, Bill - NT9K
SKCC #1926c69t9was8hofdxq2dxc1
http://www.nt9k.com
NT9K

Postby G0KZZ » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:37 am

G0KZZ

Postby NT9K » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:55 am

73, Bill - NT9K
SKCC #1926c69t9was8hofdxq2dxc1
http://www.nt9k.com
NT9K

Postby G0KZZ » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:59 am

Argghhh! I hate folks with 'spare' rooms (hi hi).

That's the bane of where I live now, a great house but nowhere to put anything. My XYL suggested that I turn the attic in to a workshop, but the last time I used a pillar drill in an upstairs room the rumble from the drill nearly shook the house down!

It's annoying that I have most likely more than enough tools to make some quite reasonable keys, but nowhere to use them.

I once used a scroll saw in the kitchen of our house. Boy! I was hoovering up dust around the house for days!

My worst moment was when we had just moved in. I had worked around the house, one room at a time, decorating. So we had new furniture, and new carpets everywhere.

I had to hang some new doors, and one door in particular needed several passes of a power-plane. The power-plane had a swarf or shavings collection system, until.....

I was making a pass along the edge of a door when PLOP!, the dust collecting bag fell off! I thought that if I stopped mid-pass I would not be able to get the door edge level again, so I carried on!

In about ten seconds our brand new carpets and furniture took on the appearance of an arctic scene, but with a great smell of pine hi hi.

My ten seconds of planing cost me about four hours of cleaning up! All of the wood shavings acted like burrs, gripping the pile of the carpet from which no amount of hoovering would remove them. I had to get on my knees and pull them out one by one with a pair of tweezers!

So needless to say I am reluctant to fire up power tools of any kind unless I am well 'down wind' of anything furniture-like.

Your converted spare room looks the part I must say. It reminds me of photos I've seen of Victorian workshops. Maybe you could do a sepia version of your photo!

You mention the mini wood lathe. I've been eyeing up the metal turning brothers of theirs (they are called mini lathes too), and I am seriously considering parting with one or two items of radio equipment in order to fund my venture. Or at least I was until you mentioned how few tools you used to make your wooden Amplidans etc.

I think my only need really is somewhere to work (and make a mess!), so maybe a garden shed would be a better buy.

I did start to make a semi-auto key a while back (from one of the patents in a Vibroplex book I have), but without even a vice to grip the metal parts I was shaping it was hard going. In the end I abandoned the project...

Enough 'waffle' from me for now.

Best 73, Mark.
G0KZZ

Postby KD8NJZ » Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:50 pm

SKCC #7136. If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
KD8NJZ

Return to Making Keys