[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
SKCC • View topic - Frankenstein a Navy Flameproof

Frankenstein a Navy Flameproof

Share your ideas, parts sources and key projects.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

Frankenstein a Navy Flameproof

Postby NT9K » Fri May 30, 2008 11:22 am

73, Bill - NT9K
SKCC #1926c69t9was8hofdxq2dxc1
http://www.nt9k.com
NT9K

Postby kb4qqj » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:56 pm

kb4qqj

Postby NT9K » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:21 am

73, Bill - NT9K
NT9K

Postby kb4qqj » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:36 am

kb4qqj

Postby NT9K » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:00 pm

Here is one of my Navy Flameproof keys taken apart and all the paint stripped off the parts. There are 51 individual parts.
73, Bill - NT9K
NT9K

Postby kb4qqj » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:17 pm

Wow Bill!!
I've used my CJB daily for 23 years. I've had my CMI taken down but never that far. I think I've polished the contacts twice on the CJB, never been into it though. Looks complicated. There is a wealth of info in that photo. Great work. I got a hoot out of seeing the poor thing with no paint..hi hi..looks kinda like a ship ready for re-fitting. Great job. What did you clean the shell with? I'm seriously considering powder coating one of mine now after you have shown me all the pieces! I think a brass or bronze powder coat with Navy anchor on each flank would be interesting.

Thanks for posting the parts photo.

Randy
kb4qqj

Postby NT9K » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:32 am

I stripped it with a spray type paint remover I got from Walmart. It took 3 applications to get all the paint off. The base stripped with one application. The stuff works in about 10 minutes. The brand name is Klean Strip.

I still haven't decided how to finish it. There are so many possibilites. It sure was hard to get the 3 pins out. I got the punches at harbor freight that I used to punch the pins out. I broke 2 punches doing it.

I was thinking about anodizing it?
73, Bill - NT9K
NT9K

Postby kb4qqj » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:50 am

Sounds like I need to make a trip to Wal-Mart. Anodizing sounds good. Can you do it in metal finishes? (brass, bronze, copper etc.) I know it is easy enough in standard colors. Funny you used punches from Harbor Freight! I get a lot of stuff from there too. I also make regular rounds to Dollar General to get inexpensive things I can tear up to make into something else. hi hi I think I would put some anti-seize compound on those pins before I put them back in. (Versa Chem type 13 at Harbor Freight)

Randy
kb4qqj

Postby NT9K » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:16 am

Yes, you can anodize in those colors. There are home kits for anodizing and plating that are reasonable. I think there may be a problem anodizing it as the parts are so gray. I sanded on a part in a place you can't see and it will shine up, but I think the whole think would have to be shined up before the anodizing would look right.

I don't care too much for chrome keys, but it would look cool chrome or nickel plated.
73, Bill - NT9K
NT9K

Postby n0jl » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:42 pm

Boy! Who woulda thought there were that many parts in the sucker. I think I'll just leave my CJB-26003A alone!
Jim Lasley, N0JL
n0jl

Postby kb4qqj » Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:01 pm

I've used lapping compound ( the purple stuff) for polishing transmission covers and valve covers on engines before anodizing or plating them. It and a Dremel tool with jewelers buffing wheel will bring it to a fine mirror finish. You just have to work quickly because it starts oxidizing immediately. I'm not much on Chrome either, even if I have 3 chrome keys and bugs, but a Flameproof done in dull brass or even polished brass would be interesting.
LOL Jim, I believe I read once that the flameproof has more parts than any straight or sideswipper key!!
You can bet I saved that photo too!!

Randy
Thunder is Loud and Thunder is Impressive, but It's Lightening that does all the Work!
kb4qqj

Postby NT9K » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:05 pm

It is starting to shine now. I have many hours in the polishing.
I'm not sure how much farther I will take it. I plan to mount it
on the piece of copper the black FP is on next to it.
Will do something else with that key?
73, Bill - NT9K
NT9K

Postby kb4qqj » Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:52 am

Bill,
What did you wind up polishing it with? Looks like it has a real luster to it.

Randy
kb4qqj

Postby NT9K » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:36 am

73, Bill - NT9K
NT9K

Postby kb4qqj » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:47 am

kb4qqj

Postby NT9K » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:26 am

73, Bill - NT9K