Flameproof contact cover.

Share your ideas, parts sources and key projects.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

Flameproof contact cover.

Postby KB0SNE » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:54 pm

Does anyone know where I can get a contact cover for my Navy Flameproof Key or has anyone ever made one ? Thanks for any info you can share. :?:
Mike
KB0SNE

Good to go

Postby KB0SNE » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:10 am

I made one.
Mike
KB0SNE

Postby kb4qqj » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:21 am

You can still order them from the Bunnell site I think. I know they still sell teh complete key new. maybe drop them an email and ask. I know they are slow to answer email so give them some time.

Randy_KB4QQJ
kb4qqj

key cover

Postby KB0SNE » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:02 pm

I wrote to Matt at Bunnell about this and he was GREAT about getting back to me right away.. For anyone else who needs a cover---Matt has covers for the CMI series of keys but not the CJB series. There's a difference somehow. My homebrew cover turned out great for my CJB so I'm good to go.
Mike
KB0SNE

Postby kb4qqj » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:13 pm

That is great Mike.
I wonder what the difference is? My CMI fits the CJB just fine. Maybe it is shorter/taller and I've just never noticed. That is usually the first thing to go on mine. I toss the cover. Maybe I should keep them and give them away when someone needs it.

Randy_KB4QQJ
kb4qqj

Cover

Postby KB0SNE » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:50 pm

Well Shoot ! Matt told me there was a difference, but I guess I should have had him send me one anyway. At any rate, this home-made one looks almost like the real thing and didn't cost me anything. Hang on to any covers you run across,though. They're definately in demand.
Mike
KB0SNE

Postby kb4qqj » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:26 am

If I can find the CJB I'll measure it against a new CMI I found last night after reading your post. It may be some thing as simple as the depth of the slot or the type screw that holds it on. Pan head or counter sunk. I was under the impression they were built to a standard set of specs for the military. I have the plans for the Bunnell. I guess I could look at that and see if there is a difference. I'll look.

Randy_KB4QQJ
kb4qqj

Return to Making Keys