Worked All Canada (W.A.C) award

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

Worked All Canada (W.A.C) award

Postby ve3fal » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:19 pm

Ok SKCC alumni, I have drawn up a certificate for the Worked All Canada award but still have a few bugs to iron out.
I have contacted a couple of amateur radio clubs in the North West and Yukon Territories to see if we can get some of their members to join the SKCC.
Problem lies with the Nunavut Territory as the only activity generally is done from Alert (VE8RCS) which is only activated very rarely.
I do not hear much activity from Hudson or James Bay regions which are also part of Nunavut despite the closeness to Manitoba and Ontario.
I am looking for ideas from you folks, I think we can make it work the 10 provinces and 1 Territory which is entirely possible and then not a sinch to complete, just need members from those areas.
I can always change the certificate to represent the 1 Territory rule.
Otherwise it would not be a true Worked All Canada award to say....

Thanks
Fred
VE3FAL
SKCC#50
ve3fal

Postby NT9K » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:25 am

Hi Fred, nice wallpaper for the award. I like what I see and agree that it shouldn't be too easy, but not unobtainable either.
If there is anything I can do to help with the award on the skccgroup.com website, let me know.

73, Bill - NT9K
SKCC Webaster
http://www.skccgroup.com
NT9K

Postby kb4qqj » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:32 am

I'm in Fred. I agree the one territory is going to be tuff. I think maybe a wild card is in order? maybe if you get one of the clubs up there to join then after working two different operators from said club, it could be used as a wild card for the unobtainable. Or if two clubs join in different territories then by working both it would qualify you for a wild card. Several different scenarios could be used. Let me know when you hear from any of the clubs.
In the meant time. What is the start date? So I can start counting contacts. hee hee
Thanks and a great idea.

Randy _ KB4QQJ
kb4qqj

WACanada

Postby k8jd » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:29 pm

How about a Basic level for the lower provinces from the Maritimes to BC
and endorsements for Yukon (home of my old high school buddy VY1JA)
NWT and Nunavit ????
I don't think I ever worked PEI and only worked my Yukon buddy a few times since he moved up there to Whitehorse !
73 from K8JD, SKCC 1395, Centurion 18, Tribune 12, Band Endorsements; 160, 80, 60, 40, 30M, 20, 17, and 10M

Ham radio is real Radio, CW is real Hamming!
k8jd

Postby k8jd » Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:38 pm

I just heard from my old High School Buddy Who is now VY1JA.
He is commuting from Whitehorse, YT to Alert, Nunavut twice a year, working at the Govt post there. He wants to take one of his rigs up there when he goes back for the next shift (7 months on and 3 months off).
More to follow....
73 from K8JD, SKCC 1395, Centurion 18, Tribune 12, Band Endorsements; 160, 80, 60, 40, 30M, 20, 17, and 10M

k8jd

Wow!

Postby NW7US » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:31 pm

Wow - what a cool idea - a WAC award. I like the Basic idea with endorsements and wild card... so, how about if some amateurs travel the AlCan hiway, and operate like DXpeditions from a territory? That would be SO cool to do... in a fun world. I wonder how many hams travel through any of those territories?

Sorry, just thinking out in type.
Tomas David Hood - SKCC 4758 FISTS 7055
http://cw.hfradio.org
Propagation Editor: CQ, CQ VHF, Popular Communications
http://prop.hfradio.org
http://tomas-david-hood.com

NW7US

WAC award

Postby k8jd » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:26 pm

We will not be hearing VY1JA on for a while from either Whitehorse or Alert.
His XYL, Ann, needed back surgery and the way Canada health care covers everyone, he had to sell most of his Ham gear to pay for her care. (like Obamacare only with more snow) ...It will be quite awhile before he will be back on the air

k8jd

Re: Worked All Canada (W.A.C) award

Postby k8jd » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:50 pm

We used to drive over the bridge from Detroit to Windsor to have dinner at a few great places but now I need to get a passport ( I never ever needed one even to go the Caribbean islands before) to get back home !
I am too irritated with our politics to do this, so no more weekends in Niagara falls, Toronto, or anything over there for us.
And my father was born over there In Hamilton, ON !
No DXpeditions to, Whithorse or Nunuvut for me !

k8jd

Return to New Proposals