How about a 'Silver Award' and/or a 'Gold Award'?

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

How about a 'Silver Award' and/or a 'Gold Award'?

Postby W9JDH » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:04 pm

Just a thought to pass around...

Since SKCC now has about 3000 members now, how about a 'Silver Award' for working 250 different members, and/or a 'Gold Award' for working 500 different members?

I would be willing to take onthe task of reviewing the logs if nobody else is willing.

Working 250 different members would be a challenge, but working 500 different members would really be the challenge.

What do you think??

Jimmy, W9JDH
SKCC #80, Centurion #68
W9JDH

award

Postby k8jd » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:20 pm

I may have worked 250+ members by now. Just have to page thru the log books and find them all.
73 from K8JD, SKCC 1395, Centurion 18, Tribune 12, Band Endorsements; 160, 80, 60, 40, 30M, 20, 17, and 10M

Ham radio is real Radio, CW is real Hamming!
k8jd

Postby k8jd » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:54 pm

Now the membership is up to well over 5K, you would think the CW bands would be crawling with SKCC numbers but that is not so !
What's the Deal ? Get a SKCC number and then hide ??? :shock:
73 from K8JD, SKCC 1395, Centurion 18, Tribune 12, Band Endorsements; 160, 80, 60, 40, 30M, 20, 17, and 10M

Ham radio is real Radio, CW is real Hamming!
k8jd

Postby k5psh » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:34 am

>>Now the membership is up to well over 5K, you would think the CW bands would be crawling with SKCC numbers but that is not so !
What's the Deal ? Get a SKCC number and then hide ??? >>>

john

just a thought here--no offense meant; no axe to grind----many folk get the number, but don't really chase paper--they are just looking for a good CW ragchew and hoping the club will provide it--i have several numbers but don't seek endorsements at all--i have the number to give in case the other station is chasing paper---BUT my first consideration is a good solid CW RAGCHEW(caps for emphasis only)--

i suppose what i am trying to say is that i am neither turned on nor off by paper chase; BUT not all ops feel that way--just one of those things i suppose--

jerry---k5psh
jerry--k5psh
k5psh

Postby kb4qqj » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:25 am

k8jd wrote:Now the membership is up to well over 5K, you would think the CW bands would be crawling with SKCC numbers but that is not so !
What's the Deal ? Get a SKCC number and then hide ???

It might surprise you how many people you contact are SKCC members and don't announce it. I'm a FISTS member as well and rarely announce that. When I make a non event contact, I will look them up on Rob's lookup tool here:
http://www.g4lmw.co.uk/links.html# Scroll down to "FIST/SKCC lookup"
If during the qso they don't mentions a number, I don't either. If it is someone I've worked before on that band I don't bother with the number every time. Once in a while if it is a High number (new member) I will ask if they want to exchange numbers or if they need my "T". If they are QRP I will exchange my power so they can use it towards their 2xQRP#.
Other wise it is just fun operating. I have on occasions given them "their" SKCC number LOL...It will come up in qso and they will say they don't know their number anymore. So, I give it to them..hi hi

Randy _ KB4QQJ
kb4qqj

CW rocks my world

Postby NW7US » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:14 pm

Ok... I think I will venture into this discussion.

1. This is the first club where I think I want to chase a bit of paper. Why? BECAUSE YOU FOLKS HAVE MADE IT SO DURNED FUN.

2. I am a VERY slow hear-er. I can send fast. I can SOMETIMES hear fast. But, for some reason, my brain gets jumbled and I get SLLLLOOOW. This makes some rag chewing, and some paper-chasing, a real challenge. I would LOVE to just fluently get along and chat in CW for a good yarn. But, when my stress goes up, it all gets rough and then I tend to be timid on the air. So, you may find that I will listen often to the bands, decode for practice, but not announce my presence.

3. I own a business, and work, at times, long hours. I live in Montana. Those two things, combined, means that I am not always able to get on the air when a lot of others are able to get on the air. Oh well.

4. I LOVE THE IDEA of Gold and Silver, etc.

Long live the art of CW.
Tomas David Hood - SKCC 4758 FISTS 7055
http://cw.hfradio.org
Propagation Editor: CQ, CQ VHF, Popular Communications
http://prop.hfradio.org
http://tomas-david-hood.com

NW7US

Re: CW rocks my world

Postby kb4qqj » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:52 pm

NW7US wrote:1. This is the first club where I think I want to chase a bit of paper. Why? BECAUSE YOU FOLKS HAVE MADE IT SO DURNED FUN.

2. I am a VERY slow hear-er. I can send fast. I can SOMETIMES hear fast. But, for some reason, my brain gets jumbled and I get SLLLLOOOW. This makes some rag chewing, and some paper-chasing, a real challenge. I would LOVE to just fluently get along and chat in CW for a good yarn. But, when my stress goes up, it all gets rough and then I tend to be timid on the air. So, you may find that I will listen often to the bands, decode for practice, but not announce my presence.

Hi Tomas,
I didn't see a signature so I'm using what is on your web address. Let us know what you prefer.

Please don't let slow or " brain jumble" stop you from a qso!! None if us started cw at 30 wpm. If you make mistakes when you get stressed, then I'll just hang in there with you till you relax. I could care less how many mistakes you make. I guarantee you I've already made it at least 20 times. I'll be glad to carry on a yarn with you at any speed and at a time of your convenience.
If you decide to chase paper, let me know and I'll give you my T and my clubs number any time. If you just want to practice sending, I'll listen till you relax and then we can have a good yak. ;-)

Any of the SKCC folks will slow down and take time to get you relaxed. When you do, it becomes much more fun and far easier. Just get on there and make the mistakes and get them out of your way. You will find it easy if you don't think about what the other SKCC member might be thinking. Just relax and start making contacts. Just let me know.

Randy _ KB4QQJ
kb4qqj

Postby KB9MLE » Sat May 16, 2009 2:44 am

I think a silver and gold award sounds great. Some of us love goals and achievement. Gives us something to work toward. Also love to rag chew...currently working toward my FISTS RAG CHEW award. So far have made 13 (30 minute) QSO's and having a blast. Maybe SKCC should have both a 30 minute rag chew award (100 member contacts) and the 60 minute (100 member) Marathon award. Just a thought.
Dave Long KB9MLE
KB9MLE

Re: CW rocks my world

Postby NW7US » Sat May 16, 2009 11:57 pm

kb4qqj wrote:Hi Tomas,

I didn't see a signature so I'm using what is on your web address. Let us know what you prefer.

Yes, "Tomas" is my first name, and that name is what I prefer to be called by. Thank you for asking.

kb4qqj wrote:Please don't let slow or " brain jumble" stop you from a qso!! None if us started cw at 30 wpm. If you make mistakes when you get stressed, then I'll just hang in there with you till you relax. I could care less how many mistakes you make. I guarantee you I've already made it at least 20 times. I'll be glad to carry on a yarn with you at any speed and at a time of your convenience.

Thank you for the encouragement. I've slowly made my way into the deeper end of the pool, and some days I can copy better than others. I'm enjoying it, no matter the speed, that much is certain.

kb4qqj wrote:Any of the SKCC folks will slow down and take time to get you relaxed.

I've not met, yet, any rude SKCC members. Everyone has been kind, helpful, and a joy to converse with. Sure makes the hobby worth-while.

C U on the ionospheric skip...
Tomas David Hood - SKCC 4758 FISTS 7055
http://cw.hfradio.org
Propagation Editor: CQ, CQ VHF, Popular Communications
http://prop.hfradio.org
http://tomas-david-hood.com

NW7US

Good idea!

Postby W1LIC » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:45 pm

I like this idea. I'm also a member of 10-10, and perhaps something their "Bar" Award would work. You get the basic certificate for working 100 members, and then endorsements for each additional 100 members. Perhaps with SKCC, because there are not as many active members, we could make it for each 50 instead of 100.

As has been expressed above, some only like to ragchew and not really collect numbers. It is that way with 10-10 also. If someone doesn't want to collect numbers, that is fine, but it is a good way to promote more activity on the bands.
W1LIC

Return to New Proposals