May have wrong Key Cable

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

May have wrong Key Cable

Postby KF5BRI » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:20 am

Ordered a Key and connection Cable for YAESU which calls for a 1/4" Stereo Plug. Diagram shows a simple two wire "Hot" and "Grouond" connections.

When my Key and Cable came in w/o any instructions as to wiring. The Cable has three (3) wires: Do I use this Cable or get a two wire Cable?

I assume the "Hot" is Red ~ a White wire ~ and Sheath or "Ground". On this Key there is a hole in the back of the base which a wire can be clamped by a screw under the bottom of the base. The Key has the typical two post screws for connecting the two wires also. I don't get it. :roll: :?:

What should I do?
Thanks Larry
KF5BRI

Postby KF5BRI » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:45 am

Well; I solved my problem. I went out to the shop and got my digital tester. Sat down with the new little key and cable and began checking continuity according to the YAESU manuals diagram . Sure enough the "Hot" Red wire lit up the tip of the Stereo Plug, and the Sheath "Ground" lit up the Stem of the Plug, and the white wire lit up the center section of the Plug. So, I'll just tape off that wire and leave it neutral.

As for the hole in the base of the key. It is a "Hot" connection that joins the "Hot Post". Why it's there; I don't have the foggiest idea.

KF5BRI
KF5BRI

Postby G0KZZ » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:06 pm

Hiya Larry

Many of the leads sold have three wires so that the paddle guys can wire up their keys.

A good number of the modern rigs can be used with either a straight key, or a paddle, but you will normally need to 'tell' the radio which type is plugged in via one of the radios' menu items.

I think it is pretty much convention with modern rigs that for straight keys the tip (of the jack plug) is 'hot, and the rear of the plug is ground.

With a paddle key it is normally tip=dit, middle=dah, plug body or rear=ground.

The good thing about this system is that even if you use a mono plug with two sections for a straight key, the tip is still hot and the rear or body of the plug is still ground.

I'm puzzled about your 'hole' in your key base. It is most likely that it is either an access hole to enable the key to be assembled, or, it may allow access to a tension spring locking pin or something similar.

What key is it, and do you have a picture?

Best 73, Mark.
G0KZZ

Postby KF5BRI » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:27 pm

G0KZZ - I'm puzzled about your 'hole' in your key base. It is most likely that it is either an access hole to enable the key to be assembled, or, it may allow access to a tension spring locking pin or something similar.

What key is it, and do you have a picture?

Hey Mark:
This is a beautiful little [model BBC] solid brass key made by LLvaves in the Islands of Spain. The company no longer exists as its owner has passed away.
Below is the BBC ~ ~ 73's Larry
KF5BRI

Postby KF5BRI » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:59 am

Mark:
Here is a better pic with the red wire entering the connection at the base of the key. :)

73's Larry

KF5BRI

Postby G0KZZ » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:34 am

Hiya Larry

I was just looking at the picture of your key and I can honestly say that I've never seen an LTA key with a hole on the rear where yours has one (I work in a ham radio store and we sell LTA keys, which are sometimes sold under other brand names), so it leads me to think that either:

1) Someone has modified the key for some reason or,

2) LTA changed the way they were machining the keys to feed the 'hot' wire to the front contact

The hole looks accurately drilled, so it may be that my second suggestion is correct.

I have the exact same model and there is no hole present there, but looking at the base of my key there is a machined groove to carry the 'hot' wire to the front contact, which would follow the same line as your drilled hole.

Other than that I haven't a clue, unless the machine operator came in drunk one day and thought he would make a 'practice' hole hi hi. :D

Best 73 Larry,

Mark.
G0KZZ

Postby KF5BRI » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:36 pm

Hey Mark:
I've got a letter somewhere that came with my key. It made a statement just about what you have described. In that each key has its own personality as they are (or were) hand made by individual craftsmen.
So that could explain it. It is a precision drilled hole, and looks original.

You stated that the LTA Keys are still being sold. I thought LTA went out of busnisess after its owner died....? Can you shed any light on that?

73's
Larry
KF5BRI

Postby G0KZZ » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:03 pm

KF5BRI wrote:You stated that the LTA Keys are still being sold. I thought LTA went out of busnisess after its owner died....? Can you shed any light on that?

73's
Larry

Hiya Larry

Sorry for the delay in replying (I have to fight the rest of my family for PC time!).

You can still get LTA keys here in the UK, some are sold as LTA keys, others are sold under the Watson brand name, but they are still LTA keys just with the importers brand/logo on.

Take a look here:http://www.radioworld.co.uk/~radio/catalog/morse-keys-straight-keys-c-573_410_411.html?page=2

They start about half way down the page, and if you click the link at the bottom for page three there are some more there too.

Although listed as Watson keys many still have the LTA badges on if you view them 'in the flesh'.

73, Mark.
G0KZZ

Postby WU5F » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:37 pm

I just found this thread and followed the link (above). Interestingly, the model W-BBC appears to my old eyes to have the same hole in the back.

73, Bob WU5F
WU5F

Return to Elmer