[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
SKCC • View topic - Question for lefty bug users.

Question for lefty bug users.

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

Question for lefty bug users.

Postby KD8JHJ » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:33 pm

Hi All

I will try to not make this too confusing. I enjoy rotating my various straight keys in and out of service and building my skills with each new QSO. One of my goals is to aquire a bug and learn to use it. I do have a Vibroplex Vibrokeyer that I have lately been using to drive the keyer in the rig. Since I am a lefty I flipped the paddle and the knob around and positioned the keyer on left side of the desk. Thumb(push left)= dash, finger(push right)= dot. By practicing with this arrangement could I eventually do the same with a right handed bug with just a flip-flop of the paddle/knob? Or should I put the keyer away and buy a left handed bug? I am a Vibroplex fan but I am leaning towards the Vizkey bug for its slower speed ability.

73 Mike KD8JHJ
KD8JHJ

Postby G0KZZ » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:18 am

Hiya Mike

Apart from the Vizkey (which is a fairly new design I believe), you can get fairly low speeds out of the old Himound BK-100 bug key . If you slide the weight to the rear you can go down to maybe 10 WPM or so. They tend to come up for sale on eBay quite often. Apart from a quick clean of the contacts (use a liquid 'silver jewelry dip' on a cotton bud, NOT abrasives), and a little greasing/adjustment of the pivot bearings, they generally work really well.

I have had Vibroplex keys in the past, but they are way too fast for me! Most Vibe's seem to start at around 25 WPM and work up from there. At the moment I still have a Lionel J-36 (WW2 Vibroplex clone for military), but I never use it because it is again to fast for me, and I don't want to risk damaging the VERY delicate celluloid name plate/serial number strip. I keep it for posterity only! :D It has a fairly low serial number too, "000184", certainly the lowest I've seen around the web, as most of the ones I've seen in photos tend to be in the 10000+ range.

The other old bug key I own is a Bunnell 'Gold Bug'. After a 'gentle' repair to the pivot sleeves, the key was found to work fine, though a little odd to the feel when compared to a Vibe'. Again, I don't use the key due to it's age, I just take it out of its storage box once in a while and gaze at it while occasionally saying "Wow" to myself! :D Can't remember the serial number, I think it's "1074" or something not to far away from that, but in any event it's just a lovely key to handle and try out.

I always wonder what stories these old keys could tell us if only they could speak!

Regards, Mark.
G0KZZ

Postby Rich » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:12 pm

73 de N2UGB

Still a place for low-tech amateur radio in a high-tech amateur radio world!
Rich

Postby G0KZZ » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:10 pm

G0KZZ

Postby Rich » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:34 pm

73 de N2UGB

Still a place for low-tech amateur radio in a high-tech amateur radio world!
Rich

Postby KD8JHJ » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:50 pm

KD8JHJ

leftykeyer experiences

Postby k8jd » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:27 pm

73 from K8JD, SKCC 1395, Centurion 18, Tribune 12, Band Endorsements; 160, 80, 60, 40, 30M, 20, 17, and 10M

Ham radio is real Radio, CW is real Hamming!
k8jd

Return to Elmer