[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4668: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4670: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4671: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4672: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
SKCC • View topic - CW: About to throw in the towel

CW: About to throw in the towel

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

CW: About to throw in the towel

Postby KC0CCF » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:51 pm

Hi,
I'm a recent new member to skcc and have been using the Koch CW trainer. About two weeks ago, I reached my highest copy level of 28 characters at 15wpm. I just cannot seem to break this level getting around 82 percent accuracy.
About to give up. Any suggestions? Or do I just continue pound away?

Mark Kc0ccf
KC0CCF

Postby KC9KHG » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:37 am

First of all,welcome to SKCC and the forum!
I wouldn't give up,and for that matter,I didn't! 15 wpm? Is that character speed and spacing? If you're at 15wpm...get on the air and start having real QSOs!

When I was learning,I got to the point where I could recognize the letters and got on the air. Numbers are easy,or at least they were/are for me. Send an email to a few of the SKCC Elmers and start having regularly scheduled QSOs with one or more of them. Also check out the K3UK sked page here---> http://www.obriensweb.com/sked/index.php?page=skcc

Sounds to me like you're off to a real good start and just need to get on the air!!

Good Luck & 73!
Randy
SKCC #3687Tx6
WCC #281
KC9KHG

Postby KC0CCF » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:02 am

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm still a little nervous getting on the air. Feeling like I'm not ready I know will probably always be. Yeah the spacing I recently bumped up to 15 to match the char speed. That was painful. I'm anxious to get on. Still have few more letters and most of the numbers.

Mark,
kc0ccf
KC0CCF

Postby KC9KHG » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:33 pm

Hi Mark,
Keep plugging along,you're almost there!! When you know all the letters and numbers,shoot me an email direct if you like.I'd be proud to be your first CW contact. I'm not too far removed from being where you are now and my speed is not that fast. I'll have no problem slowing to what ever speed you are comfortable with.

Contact me here or direct (email address good on QRZ) if you have any questions on how I learned,or what my experiences were while learning.

Very 73!
Randy
SKCC #3687Tx6
WCC #281
KC9KHG

Postby ki5ms » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:50 am

Roger KI5MS
ki5ms

Postby G0KZZ » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:43 pm

G0KZZ

Postby WB6VRJ » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:39 pm

as far as code speed goes-I am stuck at 18 wpm and love it! I used the Farnesworth method to learn, and I get along very well at that speed. I even check into a couple of CW nets-and the NCS [net control station] is always very patient-heck, there are hams slower than me and they get aolong just fine!
73, de WB6VRJ SKCC # 4898
WB6VRJ

Postby KA7CTT » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:43 am

Hey Mark...
Like everyone says...Get on the 'air' and have some fun.
You'l find virtualy everyone will slow to match your speed.
I too have been doing CW for over 30 yrs...Not fast, but enjoy every QSO.
The more QSO's you have, the more your speed will actualy increase before you even realize it.
'Jump in'...the CW water is great!

'Lynn'
KA7CTT
SKCC #1522
KA7CTT

Postby k8jd » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:05 pm

You don't have to strain yourself to get to 35 WPM before you make contacts on the SKCC frerquencies ! Most of the members I contact on the air are operating at a very leisurely pace , most below 10 WPM.
I had to put an extender on my bug or use my old J-38 key for QSOs.
My normal bug speed and keyer paddle are getting rusty because I mostly work SKCC guys and gals now.
Just enjoying CW contacts will allow you to be more familiar with Morse and confident on CW and your higher speed ability will get there naturally.
73 from K8JD, SKCC 1395, Centurion 18, Tribune 12, Band Endorsements; 160, 80, 60, 40, 30M, 20, 17, and 10M

Ham radio is real Radio, CW is real Hamming!
k8jd

Elmer

Postby K8PG » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:24 pm

Hello Mark, :)

Sounds like your doing good- Do not worry about
being a Speed Demon-get on the air and have fun-
the best practice is on the air operating-enjoy yourself.
The speed will come if you work at it sooner or later-
by all means Do Not Give Up-SKCC is about operating
straight keys-meeting new folks and all the fun you wiil
have learning-Their are many fine folks and operators
in this club-keep plugging at it-you will be glad you did.
take Care Mark-73/44s/GL/DX

Paul-K8PG " CW IS AMATEUR RADIO "
K8PG

Postby kb4qqj » Tue May 03, 2011 8:06 pm

kb4qqj

Re: CW: About to throw in the towel

Postby KC9UNL » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi Mark,

The most important thing to remember is that --- it is time to get on the air. It has been suggested to go to 40m, 7.110-7.122. Call CQ at the speed you feel comfortable with. someone will pick u up.
You will feel great after that first QSO. Let me know if I can be of help.

Curt KC9UNL
curtstamp@aol.com
KC9UNL

Return to Elmer