one and only key recommendation

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

one and only key recommendation

Postby kj0p » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:39 pm

I am new to CW but old to years.
I am working to learn CW and want to know which key type is the easiest to develop on? I will learn and use just one type only for my remaining years. I don't necessarily want to try out every last style.
I do have a Bencher BY-1 with and electronic keyer attached. I also have rigs with built-in keyers.
So, what would be a consensus recommendation for an optimum key type given that I will never learn to use more than one style and for me time is running out?

M73,
KJ0P (John Krawczak)
kj0p

Postby NT9K » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:09 am

Hi John, based on the criteria you give, you could look at a Navy Flameproof or maybe a J38 or Nye Viking Speed-x key. Start by looking here:
http://www.mtechnologies.com/keys.htm

They have about the best selection of new keys you will find. I'm not affiliated with them, but have bought many keys from them. They are very good people to deal with.

Telling someone which key to use is hard. It's like telling them what kind of shoes they should wear. It's a personal touch thing. What feels good to me, might not feel that good to you. About all you can do is research the keys and ask questions. Anyway, good luck with your quest for just the right key!
73, Bill - NT9K
SKCC #1926c69t9was8hofdxq2dxc1
http://www.nt9k.com
NT9K

Postby kb4qqj » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:13 am

Based on your criteria I also would recommend the Navy Flameproof or a German Junker.

Randy_KB4QQJ
kb4qqj

Postby k8jd » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:11 pm

The best thing to do is get yourself invited to go to other hams' shacks in your area who are straight key users and try out thier keys off the air to see what they feel like .
See if you can find out local club meeting times to meet more CW ops in your area.
FM repeaters have local nets and you may hear meeting schedules of the local clubs if you have an FM rig or scanner..
Good Luck.
73 from K8JD, SKCC 1395, Centurion 18, Tribune 12, Band Endorsements; 160, 80, 60, 40, 30M, 20, 17, and 10M

Ham radio is real Radio, CW is real Hamming!
k8jd

Return to Elmer