Care and Feeding of K1Y logs

Moderators: W5ALT, AC2C

Care and Feeding of K1Y logs

Postby AD5VC » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:15 pm

I will state at the outset that my reason for this thread is to learn, not to worry about creating a perfect log. Some of the questions I am posing here were asked of me by other K1Y ops, and I hope I restate them correctly.

1. Multiple contacts with the same OP on the same band.

My understanding was that one contact per band per K1Y station. Therefore we should drop all but the first contact?

What about for K1Y stations with a new op contacting me? Do we log the op contact but drop the K1Y contact?

K1Y-K1Y contacts

Each contact with another K1Y where the op supplied personal call & # should be logged as a distinct contact? Kevin can do this automatically given the operating schedule, but should we let him or do it ourselves?

I have already expressed my reservations about inventing contacts that may not have happened, and some of the posts I saw on the yahoo group seemed to concur with my view.

Whaddya think?
Work straight key exclusively on CW. Got license in Nov. 2005 after Katrina. I enjoy designing and building antennas, and some electronics.
AD5VC

Postby K4VD » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:25 pm

First... there is no rule about how many repeat contacts you had. Keep them in your log and if you worked them as K1Y they should be in the master log. You never know which one of the QSOs the other operator will confirm with a QSL. As this wasn't a contest, there is no such thing as a dupe.

What about for K1Y stations with a new op contacting me? Do we log the op contact but drop the K1Y contact?

Log everything and everyone.

One thing that I think has confused a lot of people... K1Y was NOT a licensed station callsign. K1Y was an alias or substitute for the primary operator intended to attract attention. The primary operator should have given his or her callsign once per hour minimum to stay within FCC rules. If I had a QSO with K1Y/5 and K1Y/5 was being operated by AD5VC then I had a QSO with AD5VC. When I send out K1Y QSL cards, it will have both the K1Y/# and the primary operator's callsign (as well as QTH).

This leads to another issue, what counts for Centurion. First... I would claim AD5VC (in the above example). That is who I had the QSO with. Gordon N6WK has provided us with an extra incentive by also counting 1 credit towards Centurion for each unique K1Y/# we contacted. In the case of the above QSO I would count two points (if AD5VC and K1Y/5 were both first contacts for me). If I later worked K1Y/5 operated by WD5ABC I could claim WD5ABC but not K1Y/5 again.

If you logged K1Y/5 in your log, you logged the alias for the primary operator. This is perfectly acceptable. Technically, there is no need to log both callsigns. In fact, there is no FCC regulation to log any contacts. For an ARRL award, you would only be able to claim either K1Y/5 or AD5VC as they are both the same when assined to him.

I hope this helps clear up some of the confusion. I'll be happy to provide more detailed answers as needed.
Kev, K4VD
SKCC 605
FISTS 11712 CC 1798
http://k4vd.net/
K4VD

Postby AD5VC » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:50 pm

Thanks for the explanation. It's clearer now. I was thinking of K1Y as my temporary primary call, since that is what I used to ID frequently with (every 10 mins and at ends like FCC wants), while my personal call was used too infrequently to satisfy the FCC ID rules.

In terms of recordkeeping for the ops contacting a K1Y station, it becomes pretty important to give out the op's call. Otherwise if I am a random non SKCC member, I am going to have to work a bit to figure out who the QSO was with if I am going to upload it to eQSL or LoTW. Of course, that means going to the SKCCgroup website, which means they spend more time exposed to all the wonderful things we do... How clever....
Work straight key exclusively on CW. Got license in Nov. 2005 after Katrina. I enjoy designing and building antennas, and some electronics.
AD5VC

Postby K4VD » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:53 pm

Actually, I think the FCC requires 1-hour ID now.

The K1Y QSL that I send out will have your call/QTH. From there, the other op can take care of eQSL or LoTW.
Kev, K4VD
SKCC 605
FISTS 11712 CC 1798
http://k4vd.net/
K4VD

Postby AD5VC » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:30 am

FYI, FCC 97.119 says you must ID every 10 minutes during a communication and at the end of the communication. It says that if you substitute your call with a 1x1 call, then you need ID with your own call every hour.

Sorry that I was so dense about this, but reading the FCC regs did not explain how adding the /# to each K1Y allowed all of us to be on the air simultaneously, so I guess I came up with my own way to think about it that was wrongheaded.

So, this brings up my original question. Every time I recorded a contact with another K1Y station, I was recording two contacts in my log. One was marked K1Y/# and the second was marked with the OP's call. That inflated my contact number a bit by double-counting those QSOs. Would you prefer that they be counted as single contacts instead? This is a question that came up in talking to other K1Y ops. I can certainly fix my log to count each contact with a K1Y station once. I am afraid that different ops of the K1Y calls did it differently.

I hope my attempts to help by logging duplicates of all K1Y contacts (K1Y/# and op) did not complicate your life too much. This was very much a learning experience for me.
AD5VC

Postby N1RX » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:01 pm

AD5VC wrote:So, this brings up my original question. Every time I recorded a contact with another K1Y station, I was recording two contacts in my log. One was marked K1Y/# and the second was marked with the OP's call. That inflated my contact number a bit by double-counting those QSOs. Would you prefer that they be counted as single contacts instead? This is a question that came up in talking to other K1Y ops. I can certainly fix my log to count each contact with a K1Y station once. I am afraid that different ops of the K1Y calls did it differently.

I hope my attempts to help by logging duplicates of all K1Y contacts (K1Y/# and op) did not complicate your life too much. This was very much a learning experience for me.

I thought we had settled this already. I also logged each callsign separately, for those qsos where both sets of info were exchanged. It's not a matter of 'inflating the count' as I see it. It's just a way of making it easier to confirm a particular QSO.

For those that were not logged this way, Kevin can look up the K1Y op at the time, and verify a QSO that way. It's just more labor-intensive. No need to go back and make any changes to your log, Dana.

Bruce N1RX (ex-K1Y/1)
N1RX

Return to First Anniversary Special Event